Cleaning Rod

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jim

Cleaning Rod

Post by Jim »

Hello
I plan on buying a Dan Phariss cleaning rod soon and was wondering what all of you would reccomend as far as length goes for my LRE 34" barrel. I think I might need it a little longer than the standared lenght of 46"
Thanks Jim
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I have his standard length cleaning rod and it works just fine in my 45-100 LRE 34 inch barrel. - Mike
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I like my 44" cleaning rod for cleaning the 34" barrel. I also took an old shell casing and drilled out the primer pocket so the rod fits through it to use as a cleaning rod guide for cleaning from the breach. Naturally if for some reason you need to clean from the muzzle you need to use a muzzle guard. But the drilled out shell casing works quite well to protect the breach.
Lee Stone
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I like the one Buffalo Arms sells for $27.50.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Dave Shaw

cleaning rod

Post by Dave Shaw »

Jim,

Try measuring from the butt plate to an inch or so past the muzzle, this will give you the length, so that your cleaning patch will just come out of the muzzle. Cut down a used case and drill out the primer pocket as a breach guide.

Regards

Dave
Bo Alley

Post by Bo Alley »

You know, I bought my cleaning rod from BA and its a sturdy one with some kind of coating (black teflon maybe?) but I have left a mark or two on the receiver and tang sight with the jag. Anyway, saw a real nice setup at the AZ state championship, shaped like a blow tube (semi circular) and only cleaned the first 1/3 of the barrel. Appeared to be what looked like a giant pipe cleaner? Anyway, fella shot very well off hand and in the prong and was using this Vs a blow tube. Did now want to bother and ask what it was, but it looked much more friendly towards the hardware than mine...

Bo.
A craftsman makes his own schedule!
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Gotta ask: What is a Dan Phariss cleaning rod and where do ya get one? How does it compare to the heavy rod Dewey?
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

nohorse,

The rod is based on a 50 Cal. military claening rod except it doesn't break down for storage and you can buy one from Pharess.

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Nohorse, one of the comparisons is the Phariss is $75 and the Dewey from BA is $27.50. This is just a price comparison, no more, no less.
Shiloh Rules!!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I do not mean this to be a wise crack question, I am asking seriously. What can, or what does a Phariss cleaning rod do for a barrel that a Dewey cannot? What makes it worth $75.00? And if it really is that much better as to be worth that, does anyone have a contact number or web site for Dan Phariss?
Lee Stone
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

The Phariss clea rod has a nice aluminum handle that turns on ball bearings. there is a slot by the jagg end for a cleaning patch and the rod will ride on the patch so the barrel is protected. If your carefull the dewey rod will work just as well.

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Dave Shaw

Cleaning rod

Post by Dave Shaw »

Lee :D

Try "dphar@mtintouch.net" as an E-mail for Mr Phariss.
His ad in BPCR news claims :- non magnetic stainless, roller thrust bearings amungst other things
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I'll pull out my most recent issue of "The News" and take a look, but I like Kelley's philosophy. For fifty bucks difference, I can be very careful. Besides that, I am always very careful when cleaning my firearms. I take good care of them and they'll take good care of me.
Lee Stone
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I have the Dewey from BA and it must have ball bearings in the handle, I can spin it and I think it will never stop.
Shiloh Rules!!
Jim

Post by Jim »

I think I will give the Dewey rod some thought because I havn't bought the Phariss rod yet and I don't have to buy the most expensive one I just want a good one and if I can save that much money, then well I guess it is worth looking in to. Thanks Guys!
Jim Robinson