New Model 1863 chamber mystery?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bwbayless

New Model 1863 chamber mystery?

Post by bwbayless »

Need help with a Garrett Arms 1863. I bought this rifle in '84. Fired it 5 times. It had so much leakage at the breech I decided it needed help. Due to a lot of things, to numerous to go into, it got laid aside. I have now retired and have time to devote to the problem. I have had a new bushing made with an interference fit. Flattened and lapped the breech block plate. What kind of headspace measurement should I shoot for? I'm thinking about .003". Does that sound about right?

Thanks,

Bob
aka-slim

Post by aka-slim »

Sorry, that no one has made a reply to your question. But they may be like me, don't know the answer. But if you go to the North-South Skirmish Associations forum, some one there might be able to help you. Their web page is www.n-ssa.org . Hope this helps.

Keep your powder dry.

Slim
NRA Life
NLMRA Life
SASS Life
AGCA Life
ASSRA
U.S. Army, Special Forces, Retired
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Thanks Slim,

Two friends, father & son, own a Shiloh & C. Sharps. Both have put feeler gauges in and came up with about 3 mils. I'm gonna go with that as a starting point. That was my thinking from the start.

Thanks again,

Bob
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Bob, sorry for being late. I broach the back of the barrel when the gun is put together. I then surface grind the breech block to a snug slip fit. When you make that sleeve, leave a fit to freeze and heat it in, you don't want it moving. Hope this helps, Kirk
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Kirk,

Thanks for the info. I didn't think it needed to be that snug. Yeah, know about the chamber bushing I could slide it with my little finger. Knew it had to be tighter. I'll drop you a note in a week or two if nothing else falls apart around here.

Thanks again,

Bob
bwbayless

Shiloh #104 Sight

Post by bwbayless »

Kirk,

I have your #104 Tang Sight. I am fixin' to mount it. I must drill and tap so I have 2 questions:
1. How do you locate the position? What I mean is up & down. Do you align the sight with the eyecup. at the lowest position, with the barrel sight at it's lowest position or what?

2. I would like for the graduations to be a little more visible. What would you suggest?

The holidays slowed down work on the leakage problem but progress is being made.

Bob
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Bwbayless,

I have a Shiloh '63 carbine that was modified by a gunsmith in the N-SSA with a barilliam (spelling ?) bronze gas shield in the breech. The shield is a slip fit with a rubber "O" ring at it's base. No gas leaks and can ir 30 rounds or more without cleaning the breech area.
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Thanks Rich. From some of the fixes I've gotten it seems like there are about as many ideas as there are shooters. Would like to try a couple of things before I go the "O" ring route. I'm not a purist, can't afford it, if I were I'd be shooting an original. Howsoever I would like to get to period correct. If I can't there's always the "O" ring.

Thanks again,

Bob
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Bob, to locate the holes, they need to be centered with the bore, I would be using a mill. As far as the graduations go, I would take some 400 grit paper and a steel block and sand the color off. Next I would take some black model paint or India ink and paint it. When dry, take thinner on poster board and clean paint off of flat surface and you will have no problem then seeing marks. Hope this helps. Thanks, Kirk
bwbayless

Shiloh #104 Sight

Post by bwbayless »

Kirk,

Thanks, believe I can get there with that info.

Bob