1863 Shiloh

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

dm3280

1863 Shiloh

Post by dm3280 »

I have your 1863 model Sharps rifle and have done a little shooting with it. When I bought it, used but never fired, it did not come with any information. The question I have is what is the min / max loads I can use in this rifle? I have found 60 FF shoot in the same hole at 50 yards but I was thinking of using it on a buffalo hunt so I wanted to increase the powder.
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Accuracy is much more important than a little extra fps and relates directly to bullet placement. Bullet placement is what puts meat on the table.

I once shot a mule deer clear accross a canyon with a 58 caliber miniball powered by 60 grains of FF. I knew exactly where to hold and the bullet went the full length of this buck before exiting near the tail and was never recovered. The buck simply rolled directly away from me onto his back and never moved again!

Extra powder in a 1863 Sharps just makes the breech harder to open after the shot and sometimes even requires pouring water over the action to free it up. I had a 16 pound 1863 once that was custom chambered for
90 grains of FFG behind a 500 grain bullet. The rifle was worse that a muzzle loader for repeat shots although it would shoot railroad iron at 400 yards!

Point is to keep what shoots best even if it is not what you would consider a magnum type load.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Good morning guys, Levi, my kiddo, shot his 3 band a lot before hunting season. We found that 55 grains of Goex ffg and the brooks 485 gave the best results. It is running 970 fps, he can, believe it or not, hit a ram at 500 meters just about when ever he wants. He is making square bottom cartridges so as not to shear paper, and DGL lube. This gun has been shot upwards of 30 to 40 times, no cleaning, with no problems. His deer, which is in the trophy room was done at 170 yards, with the same results as the Marathonman. Hope this helps, Thanks Kirk
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Now that IS interesting. Thank you.
Shoot Straight
Jim VanMiddlesworth

Post by Jim VanMiddlesworth »

I'm hoping to get some better results from my 63 Armi Sport. Sorry, Kirk, I wish it were one of your's but I put the big money on a # 1 sporter from you. I got the Armi Sport in new condition for $600. Hard to pass up.

The results were disappointing at this point. I made my own nitrate paper which worked well. Just soaked some copier paper in the solution. I rolled the cartridges with a Buffalo .54 cal. 310 grn, round nose, hollow base bullet. The bore measures .544. The bullets were backed by 55gns of Goex FFg. Accuracy was dismal at 100 yards, about 17" groups. I also fired the gun by simply loading a bullet and dropping in 60 grns of powder. The bullet hit about 17" high but with correct windage. With the 55 grn paper cartridges elevation was better but windage was all over the place. Caps are CCI musket caps. Surprisingly with the 310 grn bullet the chamber will hold a max of only 60 grns of powder. Could it be short chambered?

I'm not expecting 1" groups but better than I experienced. I realize experimentation is necessary but does anyone have any suggestions? Other than getting rid of the gun. Its something to play around with till my Shiloh is done. Is FFFg safe to use in my gun or is it too fine?
"Dyin' aint much of a livin', boy"
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Jim,

I have a Garrett Arms 1863. Accuracy is not my problem, I have breech leakage but I'm gaining on it with good information from Kirk.

I shoot an NEI 54/500 over 60 grs. of GOEX. Bore measures .540. I'm not familiar with the bullet you are using but that could be the problem. NEI makes a 54/515 that measures .542/.542/.544. With your bore you may even need one a little larger.

Bob

“Gratitude is riches, complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful.”