Bison Skull Mount

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Omaha Poke

Bison Skull Mount

Post by Omaha Poke »

Well, a couple of months after turning my Bison head over to the taxidermist, I got it back today, mounted on a walnut plaque. It is really cool!! He surprised me by mounting the lower jaw on a walnut plaque also that would be able to sit on a desk if I wanted. I chose to mount it on the wall about 4 feet from the skull and in between I am going to hang Howard Terpning's THE LONG SHOT. It shows three native americans, with one of them aiming a '74 Sharps over cross sticks. The Bison head will be hung in line with the line of fire from the Terpning print, and the lower jaw on the other side of the print.

My dog, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, keeps trying to jump up and attack the skull mount, and every time she walks by it she gives it a wary look. It is worth hanging just to see her reaction to it.

I had the scrotum tanned, and it is still a little stiff. I can hardly wait for my wife to come home from work and see her reaction when I ask her to chew on it for me to soften it up!! :lol: :twisted: :lol: If I am alive tomorrow :D I will let you know how that went!! Randy
Randy Ruwe
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Randy,
If your wife won't chew it for you, there is another tried and true method of softening tanned hide. You may not want to do this to the Buffalo "POKE", but it work great on full sized hides. Hand it on the clothesline and beat it with a baseball bat, or roll it up and run it back and forth over a fence rail, see - saw fashion.
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
wolfy

Post by wolfy »

Howdy Omaha,
We've got a print of The Long Shot hanging in our living room, too. I was examining it closely one day and noticed that the guy shooting the rifle with the elevator on the barrel sight does not have his eye lined up with the notch on the elevated notch. It looks like he is sighting the Sharps by looking under the raised notch. I really do like the arrows he's using for cross sticks, though.
Wolfy
pete

Post by pete »

Omaha; The vision I have of you smacking this scrotum around the yard with a bat is .... well something I shouldn't be visualizing. :D But it is funny.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Pete, I thought about that myself, and at my age I am not sure I could even hit it if I threw it up and took a swing!! Besides after my wife stuffed it down my throat when I asked her to chew on it, it got pretty soft. :lol: :oops: :o I think a few more times asking her and a few more times of her stuffing it down my throat, and it should be just about useable :!: :( Randy
Randy Ruwe
Omak Cowboy

stuff'n

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Randy,
the thought came to mind of her stuffing the scrotum down your throat....and I got to thinking on her choice of orifice...it could have been a LOT worse :oops: :lol:
cheers
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

next time you cough it up you can stretch it and soften it by brushing it gently with a wire brush, just enough to break up the membrain and it may ot be so hard to swallow next time huh perhaps there is a pun intended?.. naah.... the brush will work almost as good as chewing it .of course you know that if chewing it , before chewing it it has to soak in an old manure pile for a week or two ' like lye and ashes' so the brush is actually faster albiet more modern than the origional way.enjoy....Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T