New Kid on the Block

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rdnck

New Kid on the Block

Post by rdnck »

There is a new kid on the block, and he OWNS it. My new Shiloh 45-110 arrived yesterday afternoon, to late to shoot it before dark. The one and only Smokin' is paying us a visit, and we hit the range about 11 o'clock this morning . After 6 shots to get a zero on the pig, the rifle simply went to work and shot lights out. No problems, NO fouling, and no leading. Period. This thing is definitely for real, and good as my other 45-110 shoots, it won't touch this one. Smokin' has given the rifle a name, and it will stick. True to his Scandinavian heritage, Smokin' proclaimed that this very authoritative rifle hit like the hammer of Thor, and should be named Mjolnir. So Mjolnir it is, for the hammer of Thor brings thunder and lightning and so does this rifle, and it brings it with uncanny accuracy.

Those who have not seen a good 45-110 shoot, or have been fortunate enough to own or shoot one will simply not believe what one will do, and how easy it does it. This rifle has power to burn, accuracy to die for, and fouls a lot less than Smokin's 45-70 Ballard we shot beside it as a baseline. I'm glad I have mine, and the line forms to the right. Shoot straight, rdnck.

Chairman
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

rdnck, well bud, tell us about the load and bullet you used!? Was it similar to the one Kenny is so high on? Inquiring miinds want to know!! Randy
Randy Ruwe
rdnck

Load

Post by rdnck »

Omaha Poke--106.5 grains Goex 1f, WLR primer, Paul Jones Creedmoor bullet at 30-1 lubed with Black Magic. All this stuffed into Buffalo Arms stretched 348 Winchester cases. Shoot straight, rdnck.

Chairman
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
krems

Post by krems »

rdnck,
Glad you got a shooter. Tell us about how the rifle looks. What model, weight, barrel length, etc. Any rifle that shoots that good has to be a looker!

Krems
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

rdnck,

Can you outline the differences and similarities between your two 45-110 Sharps.

If this second 45-110 is a better rifle, it would be interesting to see if that fact could be traced to subtleties in design or just random aspects of the individual manufacture of rifles.

Enjoy the new 45-110.

Hal
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Canoe,

I can tell ya!

The one that shoots pretty good is a Pedersoli.

The one that got the name is the Shiloh.

Both are 1874 patern Sharps rifles.

However the Pedersoli feels clumbersome, (rdnk's own words) and the Shiloh is built like a 1874 Sharps should be. On top of that he shot A min angle group at 500 yards today.

As I have of late been trying to tell the nay sayers a 45-110 Sharps is the real Deal! I have good proof now that at the very end of the first Creedmoor era the best of the best were playing with 45-110 caliber rifles and its a good bet that the 224/225 shot by Garish upon his return from England in 1881 and a world Record Score never equalled was done with of of the 13 special built 45-110's that the Frank Hyde had made for the American Long range shooters going overseas.

Its going to be an interesting Long Range Season this coming year!

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
rdnck

Mjolnir

Post by rdnck »

Krems--My 45-110 is a superb example of the gunmaker's art, and I consider myself very fortunate in having been able to get it. The rifle and the circumstances of my getting it are a little out of the ordinary.

After the Quigley shoot last year, my wife and I went to Big Timber and visited the Shiloh plant. While there, I spotted a really nice Hartford 45-70 on the rack for immediate sale and bought it. While I was there, I also saw a heavy barreled 45-110 standing in a corner, and asked about it. I was told that it was one of Shiloh's display rifles that the company had carried to the various shows for a number of years, but had been retired from that service because it had a lot of handling wear. I asked if it was for sale, and Kirk said that he would sell it, but it had to be refinished before he would let it out of the shop. We struck a deal, and the rifle that had been sitting in a showroom since 1996 got here day before yesterday and now has a very good home in Texas.

It is simply stunning. The riflehas a pistol grip stock in extra fancy wood, and is fitted with a checkered steel buttplate. There is no cheekpiece. The splinter forearm carries a unique Walter Cooper style nosecap under the octagon bull barrel. I have not put it on scales, but the weight is in the vicinity of 15 pounds. It has a 30 inch barrel, and despite the weight, balances perfectly. I can shoot it offhand with no problem.

It has the polished barrel option, and the case colors and finish on the receiver are outstanding. It is equipped with the Lawerence high notch sporting rear barrel sight. Everything on the rifle is absolutely first rate, fit and finish are beyond reproach. I have run about 100 rounds through it at this point, and it is an easy rifle to shoot. Recoil is surprisingly mild, not much more than a 12 pound 45-70, and less than my 12 pound 45-90 shooting 85 grains of 2f and a 540 grain bullet.

I shudder to think how many people have looked at it and held it and could have bought it. Shoot straight, rdnck
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

rdnck I'm sorry I did'nt see it when I picked up my xtra fancy #1 and ordered a silhouette early last spring.I looked in the rack for a 110 but I did'nt see it,or I would have taken it home also.But it's in good hands now.

Kurt.
Smokin

Post by Smokin »

Gentlemen,

In re the new kid on the block: I was there to attend the nativity festivities and it is as the new "Dad" said, this rifle is a thing of beauty and one fine shooter! Staying with the metaphor here: it won't need diapers. It is the cleanest burning BP rifle I've ever seen. Forty four consecutive shots were fired through the rifle with only a blow tube used to keep the fouling soft; there was no wiping done during the string of shots and at the end of that string, the bore was darkly shiny with crisp rifling visible. Good heavens, even a Ballard has chunks in it after firing many fewer shots! Another thing, rdnck's new Shiloh shoots extremely accurately. I witnessed some spectacularly small groups shot with that rifle-out of the box.

While I'm not ready to trade in the Ballards just yet, my newly acquired, used LRE .45-70 may cause one Ballard to be relegated to early retirement and when the anxiously awaited #1 Sporter bedecked with bull barrel arrives, it may just cause the other, big barreled Ballard to suffer the same fate--if it can shoot with rdnck's new rifle. As I have always admitted, the Sharps fits my sense of nostalgia-it is what a buffalo era rifle should look like. And it would seem that many of them are capable of shooting out the imaginary hearts of the steel bisons at extreme ranges-so they perhaps shoot even better than we daydreamed they would as we mentally stalked those wooly beasts, over a century ago.

Here, here, rdnck! Congratulations on finding a superb rifle, Smokin
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Rdnck, congrats on getting the 110 with an impressive history. That's a pretty cool story. If mine don't go into production soon I'm going to start pulling my hair out I think. Starting to think in won't be here in May for Kenny's shoot. Was really looking forward to putting it through the paces there. Guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
rdnck

New Rifle

Post by rdnck »

Smokin'--We were glad you were here, and I was particularly glad you were present for the first shots out of the rifle. No matter how many Shilohs you own, when you open that box for the first time, it is better than when you were a kid and got your first bicycle. It is always great to be able to share that experience with a friend and fellow shooter.

This rifle really is special to me. It is an honest to goodness buffalo rifle in a buffalo caliber and it is a rifle I have wanted all my life. When I discovered how clean burning and accurate a 45-110 could be a little over a year ago, I wanted one. This one is even better than I had hoped it would be. This is not my last Shiloh by any means, but it will be the one the others in my gun rack will have to look up to.

Buckeye Shooter--Hang in there. These things are worth the wait. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Smokin

Post by Smokin »

Rdnck,

As a young boy, I can remember getting my first bike and remarking to my folks that it might not be a bad idea if I got training wheels for the thing, it being a tall bike and all. I believe my Dad inquired if I was planning on riding or falling. I wish I could shoot as well as I rode that balloon tired wonder.

You're right, first bicycles are OK; first bull barrelled Shilohs are another thing entirely. I know it will be any time now that I'm told mine will be ready and quiver with the anticipation of that announcement. Trying to catch a clear image of myself in a mirror is becoming increasingly difficult. I wonder now if Shiloh has another cache of under-utilized display rifles like your new rifle? Hope springs eternal, Smokin
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
Nick B

Post by Nick B »

Hey Rdnck: How much are you compressing to get 106 grains of powder in that case ?
rdnck

45-110

Post by rdnck »

Nick B--You want to use Goex 1f. This powder in this granulation has the perfect burn rate for the 45-110. I compress the powder.495. That is not a typo. With a 540 grain bullet, it gives the cleanest burn I have ever seen. The powder is weighed and put in the case through a 24 inch drop tube, compressed, then the wad placed on top of the powder. Shoot straight, rdnck.