Winchester 1895 405

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jim Swanson

Winchester 1895 405

Post by Jim Swanson »

Crazy Horse, I checked out the .405 today. It is a consignment gun. It's a High Grade in unfired condition. The store is asking $1,595. I found out who owns the rifle, so I would bet that the selling price would be about $200 less than the asking price. I looked it over in detail. There are no flaws, but I came to the conclusion, like Texas Shooter, that the Grade 1 would be a more practical rifle as a shooter.

I did think that I found one for you though. I stopped at a big Winchester/Browning store in town. I asked if they ever get any .405 Winchesters in. The owner told me he had just recieved one today. It turned out to be a new Winchester 1885 High Wall in .405. I wasn't aware Winchester even made one. Oh well.
Sean Thornton

Post by Sean Thornton »

I have wanted one of these for a long time since I am a big TR fan. About 3 months ago I found one in the rank at the local gunshop and bought it. It shoots fantastic at about 2.5 MOA at 100 yards. I have shot several boxes of Horandy Factory ammo in it and plan on reloading in the near future. It sure kills a milk jug full of water. I would sure like to take the .405 elk hunting one of these days. It does get your attention when it goes off. It has a kick to it. It is one fun gun.
"An experimental weapon with experimental ammunition, Let's experiment."
Sean Thornton(From the Old Country)
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

Yea I think the grade 1 looks better , especially if you are going to shoot it like me. Wow a Winchester single shot in 405. Thats kinda cool, but I want the 405 in a levergun. I would like the high wall in a 45-70 or 45-90 better.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Sean:

Like you, I love the one I have. In a very light package, it's a hell of a lot of fire power!!

We've got some real big feral pigs out here. In the spring I'm going to take the .405 out and see if I can "make some sausage, and ribs, and some tender loin, and..............."

I'm glad to hear there are several guns now being make to shoot the .405.
I would love to see a double rifle in that caliber. It would be some very cheap shooting relative to the Nitro Express Loads. $28/box vs. over $100/box

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

jim:

Are the people at Winchester on drugs? I just went to the site and it mentions an 1885 in .17 but nothing in the .405. I believe the guy at the gun store over their sad, out of date web page. It's absolutely ridiculous they can't market their products more efficiently.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Jim Swanson

Winchester 1895 405

Post by Jim Swanson »

Texas Shooter, I wasn't aware of the fact that Winchester manufactured a High Wall .405. When I asked the store owner if he had an 1895 in .405 he told me that he had just received one. He brought it out of the back room and opened the box. It had an octagon barrel, a crescent steel buttplate (which I make every effort to avoid) and a bright blue finish. When I turned it down, a fellow standing next to me bought it. I find it amusing how quickly you can draw a group of "shooters" together in a store just by laying a box or gun case on the counter.

At any rate, I think the gun manufacturers would sell more far more guns if they had shooters involved in their marketing, rather than the pin stripe suit group.
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

I don't know how true it is but I was just told that Winchester is making the 1885 in 45-70,45-90,405 and I think 38-55. Butttttttttttttttt they were just making 125 of each. What's up with that! They need to get off the Crack pipe and put out the guns we want in quantity!
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Crazy horse:

I agree. Heck I never need another excuse to buy a cool gun it just, "Folows me home" ;-)

I might drop them an email.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Tejas Raz

Post by Tejas Raz »

Relating to the similarity in the .40-65. I believe that the .405 would be much more like the .40-90 SS in ballistics. Maybe a hot .40-70. Guessing right now as I don't have the specs at hand but the pressure levels on the .405 are probably much higher to get the 2200 fps. And I wonder if you can get that with black? Anyway, it's a seriously cool rifle with such history to go with it that I'd love one just because of the caliber. A Hi-Wall would be cool too. Texas Shooter don't know it yet, but when we get together soon we're going to have to trade some shots with his 95! :D
Scott Rasmussen
aka: Tejas Raz - Semper Fi!
http://community.webshots.com/user/tejas_raz
.45-70 Gov't, .40-60 Maynard & Patched Round Ball
NRA Life
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Tejas Raz:

Your on! I would be happy to trade some shots. I will start looking for another 95, as I think you will want / have a "need" for one after we get together. ;-)

If anyone sees another High Wall .405 for sale, let me know.

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Tejas Raz,
The Sun will be back up in a few days and will fire the various BP loads of .405 Win already loaded (.405-65-370 and Duplex) as soon as there is enough light. Will post the results if anyone is interested.
Shoot Straight
Sean Thornton

Post by Sean Thornton »

Well with all of this talk fo the Winchester 405 I went out and shot mine about an hour ago. I shoot 2 boxes of Hornady factory ammo and killed several of the wild milk jugs that tried to attack me. Well it only took one shot for each. I also shot a 1.5 inch group at 75 yards. It was really a blast at both ends.
Merry Christmas to all and a Happ New Year.
I think I will give my Shiloh .45-110 a work out tomorrow.
"An experimental weapon with experimental ammunition, Let's experiment."
Sean Thornton(From the Old Country)
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Bearbait2:

Be sure and post the results. I am interested. I had not even considered a BP load for mine. Might add some extra pizazz to the adventure.

On my farm, I am also cursed with those deadly milk jugs and those pesky 2 lb. coffee cans. They fight all night and make a hell of a racket. Mr. .405 sees that they stay in line........ ;-)

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Be4arbait2 and texas shooter'
]OH YOU GUYS, all we have here in the Pacific Northwet are a few watermellon and Pumpkin gangs that attack during latenight hours. We fight back in pairs using the Muzzleflash theory. I shoot and m,y pard shoots using the muzzleflash to see the critters then it is my turn.
Man they are tricky

Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
cowboybob

Post by cowboybob »

I know it is probably to modern but if you must have a 405 right now ruger makes a #1 single shot in 405
unashamed rolling block lover