Winchester 1895 405

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

TO ALL:

I just found a new winchester 1885 high wall in .405. Any idea what a decent price for it should be? He wants $1300, it seems high to me. Any thoughts?

The other prices for the same new gun in a different caliber has been in the $1150 range.

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

Sounds like about $200 too much to me. Buuuuttttt If you want it don't let it get away.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Crazy Horse:

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to chew on it for a day or so.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

In August, at the Cabelas in Mitchell, S.D. I purchased an 1895 Winchester N.I.B. for 995.00 Dollars. They are very hard to find, but that price sounds too high. Check out gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com. - Mike
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Michael:

My 1895 (.405) was also just under $1000. I just had no idea what a 1885 HighWall should go for. I've read about them for years and just never got around to buying one. This page has re-kindled my interest, plus I feel confident in the good information availible on this site.

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Michael Johnson

I do not believe that the 405 Winchester chambering came out until after 1903. I would be tempted to look at the Ruger No. 1 in 405 Winchester if you are interested in a single shot 405. - Mike p.s. the first rifle I ever bought was a Ruger No. 1 RSI 30.06. I still have it and consider it my primary hunting rifle. Bill Ruger built a quality American hunting rifle in the Ruger No. 1. - Mike
Michael Johnson

Texas Shooter, what we really need is a Shiloh Borchardt 1878 in 45-110. I kind of hoped to find it in the revised Shiloh websight. I am just waiting for Kirk to get it right and offer it up for order. - Mike
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Michael:

I think you are right about when the cartridge came out. However, the style of the 1885 is historically special and the .405 has a mystic to it as well as a, "Cool" factor. I guess 45-70 would probably be a more commonly found and practical chambering.

Where you got your 1895, do they have any more?

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Michael Johnson

They actually brought that in for me from the Dundee, Michigan store. I found it on their websight about one week before I passed thru S.D. on my way to Ohio. Out here on the West coast I had not seen any.. I believe USRA only made a couple of thousand of these in 405. For the last six months I have been waiting for a Lyman 38 receiver sight from Parts Unknown. The rifle will make a great saddle "elk rifle". - Mike
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Michael:

I agree with you on the Borchardt in 45-110. I was really hopeing for some additional information to "obsess" about in the 2004 web site. ;-)

I have already paid for a place in line that I am saving for a Borchardt. After reading some post by Kenny, I think the 45-110 would be a killer chambering for one, and it has historical backing. There is a picture in the Sellers book of an engraved 1878 that is a knockout. I REALLY hope that engraving pattern is availible when they get ready to produce it. I want it!!!

Kelley O. mentions on his Borchardt that he has a sweet 1.5 pound trigger. It will be interesting to see what is offered. I would be shocked if it is not just perfect by the time it is released.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

Bearbait2.......How did the BP loads shoot in the High Wall 405? I may have the chance to get one in the future. I would like to get one if it will shoot BP loads. I don't really want to shoot the full power smokeless loads in a 9 pound rifle with a cresent buttplate. I can ,but just would rather not:>).

Also, Is the 405 an orginal caiber the 1885 was chambered for or are the guys at Winchester just chambering a few because they can't get enough 1895's out? Larry
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Crazy Horse:

I think I read somewhere that T.R. also had an 1885 in the .405.

I'll see if I can find something more definitive.

Ty
Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

Someone posted this on the levergun forum.

My reprint of the 1916 Winchester Repeating Arms Co. catalogue lists the "Winchester Single Shot Rifle" (as they then termed the Model 1885) as being available in .405 Winchester. The "Sporting Rifle" for the .35 Winchester and .405 Winchester cartridges required the Nickel Steel barrel. Prices were $22.00 for solid frame & $25.00 for take-down. The .405 came standard in a 30" No. 3 1/2 weight barrel, round only, with the weight of the rifle listed as about 9 lbs. I hope that helps.
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Crazy Horse,
Sorry for the confussion but my Wife's is an 1895 Winchester Lever Action (HI-Grade 24" barrel) in .405. The Sun isn't up high enough for velocity readings as yet. Should only be a few more days.
Shoot Straight
Sean Thornton

Post by Sean Thornton »

Well I did it again. I shot my Winchester 1895 in .405. What a blast I put 20 rounds trough it and have probably fired a total of 300 rounds since I got it in October. It has authority at both ends but is really fun to shoot. I should also mention that I shot my Shiloh Hartford in .45-110 and put about 15 rounds through it before it got dark. Today I think my shoulder is hurting just a little. This year I hope to shoot a silhouette match with the .45-110 just see how it does. Those of you that have those .405s get out a shoot them they are a blast. No milk jug can stand up to their power.
"An experimental weapon with experimental ammunition, Let's experiment."
Sean Thornton(From the Old Country)