Winchester 1895 405

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

BWOOS

That's a good bang for the buck for around $250.00.

For anyone interested, here is the link:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

Take Care,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Troll

Post by Troll »

Can a 40-70 be loaded to .405 smokeless loads?
-Finese is choosing the right size hammer
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

To All:

There are several 1895 Winchesters in .405 for sale now at:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/search.cgi?l ... &state=All

-Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
nineteen76

Winchester 1895/405

Post by nineteen76 »

FYI,
Got a call from my salesman at CDNN out of Abilene, Texas(1-800-588-9500). They have Winchester 1895' s with case colored frames, caliber 405 Winchester for $899.00. He tells me they got 100 rifles in on Monday. They will not last long.
You must of course be a dealer to buy these, but the price is half of what is advertised on Guns America. Find a friend with an FFL!!
Thanks,
Chris
RR

Marbels Tang Sight on 95 Win.

Post by RR »

Hello All,
I have had my current issue 405 Win lever gun for about a year now. I have worked up a good mild shooting cast bullet load using the 300 gr hard cast round nose gas check bullet sold by Huntingtons. This load makes a good cheap shooter and would work well for white tail and such. I also load the Hornady factory 300 grainers as well. I have found that the factory loads and similar hand loads shoot in the 3 to 3 1/2" range. With hand loads in the 1900 fps range I have gotten groups in the 1 1/2" inch range. These loads are a bit milder to shoot but still have plenty of punch and better accuracy.
My biggest problem with the rifle was the sights. I could not use the buck horns well at all under varying light conditions. Also they did not have the adjustability to handle the various handloads I was trying out. I bought one of the Marbels tang sights made for the new issue guns with the tang safty and had it installed and the buck horns removed. It worked out really well. I can now adjust for both windage and elevation over a wide range. The sight picture has a great field of view and the sight itself is a sturdy little number with interchangeable eye disks for both feld and target work. This rig will be going hunting now for sure.
RR
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

I called CDDN Wed. evening and they told they did not have any of the 405's. Hard to believe they sold them that quick. The guy might have been mistaken.
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

I got my new 1895 .405 win. in this week. It is a great rifle, good wood, smooth action, good trigger, etc. I really like it. I have zero regrets about getting it. If anyone is interested Win. will be getting them on a very limited supply the rest of this year and then they are gone.
RR

New Lot of 95's.

Post by RR »

Hi CR,
Thanks for the information. I am alas unable to afford another 95. I have one form the first year lot. But just incase I win the lottery or some one I know wants one, are these the case colored ones and how much do they run dollar wise?
RR
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

Mine is not the case hardened one. It is grade I blued but has a gold rigger. I gave $871.49 + tax for mine.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

RR:

I picked one up last year. Grade 1 Blue. It ran $895.00. I really enjoy it!

Take care,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
30-40 craig

Post by 30-40 craig »

If you can't find a Winchester 1895 look at the Ruger tropical in 405 Win. I have one and it shoots great. If you are like me a scope is a real help as my eyes aren't what they were 30 years ago. This rifle shoots best with a load of 52 grains of 3031 behind Hornadys 300 grain spire tip bullet, and the recoil is tolerable...I too am a fan of T.R.'s 405 a grand old cartrige.... good shooting..............