50-90 HELP?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Howard Haworth

50-90 HELP?

Post by Howard Haworth »

Recived my rebareeled 50-90 on Christmas Eve. When I tryed my loaded rounds in the gun they would not chamber all the way. The rim is sticking out about half the width. This gun was a 50-90 with free bore prior to rebarrel and the rounds fit fine. Has anybody had a problem with brass fitting the new chambers of newly purchased rifles? If so what did you do to correct the problem? The brass has been full length resized and then loaded. Help!!!!!!!!! Please :( :? :shock: Howard
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Howard Haworth,

Did you try a case only?

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Howard Haworth

Post by Howard Haworth »

Kelly,
No I tryed about twenty of them from the 4 boxes that I have. 2 of them are Bell and 2 are Huntington. but all are the same. The average lenght is 2.485 also. The 2 boxes that I have not loaded yet but are sized do the same thing. Howard
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Howard,

Do a chamber cast to get the measurement and compare with a standard drawing. I know of a problem here once, a 50/90 reamer was sharpened so many times it was under sized,so a new reamer was bought and the rifles rechambered. Who's reamer was it and who chambered the rifle, if you don't mind my asking?

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Howard Haworth

Post by Howard Haworth »

Kelly,
Shiloh rebbareled the rifle for me.
Buckskinner

50-90

Post by Buckskinner »

Howard

I have a new Shiloh no.3 in 50-90 using Bell Brass all cases drop in perfectly

Gary
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

I have had this problem before and always suspected it was a tolerance stack up problem. If the bullet and case are both to the high side then the combination of the two of them caused chambering problems. That is why I always check each loaded round in my chambers before heading to the field. The other thing that comes to mind is if you are putting too much powder in then the bullet will swell slightly when loading which is why we use compression dies to compress the powder to the right depth instead of the bullet.

How to fix?

1) Make sure you are not compressing the powder with the bullet when loading.

2) If your case rims are too thick then reem them to the right size.

3) If your bullets are oversize then size them correctly for your bullet/case/chamber.

4) Last resort and I (DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS) but you can run the loaded round back into the case sizing die (with the plug removed) for a sort distance and size the loaded round enough to chamber. Don't expect accuracy if you go this way.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
sharps5090

Post by sharps5090 »

Howard,
Do the empty cases that are sized also have the mouth expanded (belled)? If they do, try running them though the resizing die again and see if they wil then fit. I know My 40-70 won't chamber if I leave any bell in the case.
Good Luck
Chris
Howard Haworth

Post by Howard Haworth »

I think I figured it out. I remember something that Kirk told me in another post about making 40-65's out of Winchester 45-70's. That the radius had to be ground of the sizer die to allow the brass to be sized further down into the head of the case. I did this and they fit in the chamber fine now.

Sharps 50-90 the brass was not belled when I tryed them. That was one of my first suspitions with the loaded rounds.

I loaded 20 rounds tonight with a 570 gr Postal looking bullet that I bought from a bullet maker down in Oregon. Put in front of 100 gr of 1f goex with a .060 vegi wad and fereral 215 primer. I will be heading for the range tommorow to send the first of many rounds down range with this new barrel.

I have great hopes of putting 2 rounds in the same vesinity of each other for the first time since I bought this rifle almost twenty years ago.

Wish me luck. Thanks for all the help guys. Howard
Howard Haworth

Post by Howard Haworth »

Just got back from the range with the 50-90. It shot very well at 100 yards with a 2.7 x 2.1" 5 shot group. Not at all bad for the first load out of the new gun. The only snag to this was the brass was hard to get out of the chamber. I am going to give Kirk a call tomorrow to see if he can give me some glues.
Howard Haworth

Post by Howard Haworth »

Had a good talk with Kirk a week ago or so and we figured out that the brass that I had was fire formed to the old loose chamber. I took the radius off the sizer die and with an arber press sized all of my brass to the rim and pushed them out with a steel rod. Know the brass when sized will just fall into the chamber and when fired will come out with ease. Thanks to all for the help, and Kirk you were wright it was the sloppy chamber that caused the problem. Thanks Howard