Walters Wads and .45-70

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

JMLange

Walters Wads and .45-70

Post by JMLange »

I am just finishing up MLV's book on buffalo rifles and have the SPG manual, but have a question on wad diameter. Walters Wads appear to come .451 and .462 diameter. Is it better to go slightly over size or under size? Also, what seems to be the preferred thickness, .030 or .060?

Thanks,
John
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

JM, the .451 is the wad for the .45-70. The .462 is way too large a dia. for this cal., and wouldn't work for you at all. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Bob Bloyer

Post by Bob Bloyer »

Jm,
I've been using .462 " dia ldpe wads .060 " thick in my 45-70's and 45-90 the past few years with fairly good results. I cut my own with Fred Cornells wad punch and use .060 " cause it was what I could get at the time I started using ldpe. I'm thinking the .462 " diameter wad seals any gasses from blowing by the bullet on it's short trip down the bbl. I would guess the .451 " wads are designed for the .45 Long Colt as I recall sizing bullets for that one at .452 - .454 ".
I've recovered some of the wads I've shot and believe I could use them again in a pinch. They are still .462 " and barely show the rifling. Bob
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

the wad thickness depends on the rifle and what it perfers I use 60s in one load and 30s in a couple others try both and see what works best
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

:oops: :shock: You guys are right :!: I don't know what I was thinking of other than I looked at the wrong wad cutter ( have a number of them) and overlooked my .45 rifle cutter which is .461 dia. Please forgive the mistake. :oops: Randy
Randy Ruwe
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

JMLANG ! I have been using milk carton wads cut to the groove diameter of the barrel ! Nothing else has worked better to date ! I have tried .10inch hard wads from cyrcle fly but no good groups with them ! JAGG
JAGG
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I use Circle Fly wads that are .460 diameter, they really work well in my 45-70. I don't use the Walters wads because they don't make the correct diameter (in my humble opinion only) for the .458 bullets that I shoot. The .460 diameter wads really fit great in my cases.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I appoligize for asking a question on your thread, but do you guys know where I can get some .441 wads for my .43 spanish??
Shiloh Rules!!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Ken,

Have you tied Juarez? :lol:
Lee Stone
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Ha Ha, very funny Lee!! I called Mr. Walters and I tell you he is one of the nicest persons I've ever talked to on the phone, and he has a wad just for the .43 spanish!!
Shiloh Rules!!