Bullet Makeup

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Iron Horse

Bullet Makeup

Post by Iron Horse »

May I draw on this forum's wisdom once again? What is the best method for deciding what bullet hardness to shoot? Does just trial and error decide along with the guns reaction to each hardness? Is there a rule of thumb for a starting place? My gun is a 40-65 Shiloh Sharps with 1-16 twist barrel. I see 40-1 to 20-1 offered. Just looking for a starting place. Sorry for so many questions...just new at this and can't seem learn fast enough... :D Thanks for your help.

Iron Horse

AKA: Larry Gilley
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.
krems

Post by krems »

Iron Horse,
I'm a big fan of 30-1 alloy for all my BP shooting. I may be alone on this but I think it casts better, the bases don't tear as bad when cutting w/ the sprue plate, I can control weight variation better, and i think they drop from the mould a little easier than 20-1 or harder alloys. I like to cast between 775 deg and 800 degrees. Your gun will tell you what it needs. Experiment w/ both 20 & 30-1 alloy. Either one works well. FWIW

Krems
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

Iron Horse. I'm a rookie .. still waiting for my 40-65. I ordered a bullet mould from Steve Brooks and he casts 30-1. Thats good enough for me. He is a champion Master Class shooter and one of the top 3-4 mould makers for BPCR. There are enough other variables to 'experiment' with, such as powders, loads, primers, etc. Good shootin!
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Larry, anything from 20-1 on up to 30-1 will work. You will find that 30-1 will work a lot better when shooting in hot dry conditions. You will also notice that 30-1 takes a little more care loading due to softness and being a little more easy to deform. I use 25-1, I have my kids wanting to help me so we find this tough enough for even the little one. If I was all by myself I would use 30-1!!! Hope this helps, Kirk
shooter 37

Post by shooter 37 »

Ironhorse
One of the pleasures of BPCR shooting is the discovery factor.
Each shooter has the distinct privlege of trying the various combinations of alloy, powder type, powder charge, wad, wad type, length, etc.
To some it may seem like a lot of work but for the majority of us dedicated lead slingers it's a labor of love......... as for your question:
30-1 makes fine target bullets for me in 40 and 45 cal. For my hunting rifles (all 50 cal) I prefer a softer alloy, about 35/40-1 for expansion.

All of this justifies the extra hours at the range and in the field... enjoy
THE ONLY INTERESTING RIFLES ARE ACCURATE ONES
Iron Horse

Bullet Makeup

Post by Iron Horse »

To all, Thanks so much for your input. I am getting there one step at a time. I warn you I will have more questions....LOL. I need to find a source for lead in my area..I just looked at the cost of shipping..... :cry: Being near Dallas F/W maybe I can find a place where I can drive to get it. Thanks again.

Iron Horse

AKA: Larry Gilley
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.
mrrangerman

Post by mrrangerman »

Iron Horse

Hi, you might try a scrap yard, that buy's metal. They usually have lead, and you can get it at a fair price. Try [b]not[/b] to use battery lead. You can also try Tire Shops for wheel weights and such.
Dave Shaw

Bullet makeup

Post by Dave Shaw »

Iron Horse

Hope this helps, try the local plumers merchant or diy store, I know the ones we have sell rolls (20lbs) of sheet roofing lead, which should be certified as to its lead content (98 - 99%)
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

I had just recently talked to an Old Timer that has been in the Alloy business for many years and he said that all the lead alloys get softer the longer it sets on the shelf. (Still quoting) the 20:1 and 30:1 will have nearly the same hardness after it sets awhile, however, the more tin you have the larger the bullet will cast and of course lighter weight.

Even after the education, I prefer 30:1
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Don't buy any lead from a plumbing supply house, it'll cost an arm an leg and more. I'm a plumbing contractor, so thats how I know this. :wink:

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Kelley,
Is it true that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line unless you are a plumber?
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Here in the New Orleans area I can vouch what what Kelley just said. I checked with some plumbing supply houses and found I could buy pure lead from Buffalo Arms and pay for the UPS freight and it was significantly cheaper that buying it from a plumbing supply house.

The best place I found to get lead is Exide, a battery manufacturer. They handle a lot of lead and the plant up in Baton Rouge is very nice and accommodating. One just must be certain to specify pure lead because they handle a number of different lead alloys. But they will sell it in 60 pound ingots. So you might check around your area to see if Exide, or a similar company has a facility you could contact.
Lee Stone
Dave Shaw

Bullet makeup

Post by Dave Shaw »

Kelly & Lee

You are lucky, we cannot get wheel weights from the local gararge with out a certificate saying that you are licenced to handle hazardus waste - like you do for chemical / biological waste.
We do not have battery makers so that one is out, the good news is I can get tin from Cornwall (some tin mines are working) in any amount.

Regards

Dave
Nick B

Post by Nick B »

If you have any commercial bullet casting companies in your state talk to them. We have one in my state that sells nationally. I talked to them and they told me that their lead comes from a foundrary only 4 hours from my house which was a suprise to me. So I call them up and they say no problem with me buying small amounts ( 50-100lbs ) of pure lead. And get this. They deliver for free because they have a truck that delivers here weekly to the roofing companies. Check around in your area. HTH, Nick