re: help back_up rifle

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

sharps74

Post by sharps74 »

Hi all,a few weeks ago I asked what rifle to get to back_up my Shiloh if something would break during a match,either a John Bodine rolling block or another Shiloh. In responce to that question most said I would not be happy with anything less than a Shiloh. I took the advice of the forum,and just recieved my new,used Shiloh in the mail. My new used is a #1 sporter semi-fancy wood,heavy-half barrel,pewter tip and even though it was owend for over a year it was never fired. Thanks for the great advice.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

sharps74

Let us know how it shoots after you take it out.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Did the same thing for the Hartford I use as a hunter and a backup to my #1. Shopped around until I found one in similar condition as yours at a decent price. I use the same bullet set up for both guns with excellent success. Shilohs all the way from now on.....still shopping around for another!!
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
MudChild

Post by MudChild »

nohorse: How much does that 30 inch heavy barrel weigh? I'm considering buying a Shiloh, and I'm not sure about the weight difference between a heavy barrel and a standard barrel.
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

MudChild,

I can't comment on the weight of the 30" barreled Shiloh (what cal?) but I have a Shiloh 40-65 in 28" Heavy barrel Saddle Rifle. Great rifle. Works well, with good sights, at extended ranges 800+. Weighs in at 11.5 lbs and makes weight for silouette and makes a great hunting rifle. I carried it in Wy this year but, alas, never pulled a trigger!

Got them "heel hogs" lined up for us this spring yet?

TL
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

My Shiloh Hartford 30" heavy, MVA midrange rear and combination front, w/ Lee Shaver 22 adapter installed, weighs in at 12.0 pounds.
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
sharps74

Post by sharps74 »

Hi all, my first sharps is the hartford,with presentation grade wood,steel buttplate, pewter tip,#1 heavy barrel, MVA long range soule sight and it weighs #12lbs 5 ounces according to my buddies fish scale. I have not weighed the knew # 1 but shiloh says it will make weight,and it feels lighter.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

sharps74

Didn't you know, fish scales ALWAYS weigh heavy! ;-) ;-)

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"