Classic bullets New web site

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Sharpsnut

Classic bullets New web site

Post by Sharpsnut »

I just wanted to let you gents know that we have our new website up and running for Classic Bullets Co.

The address is : www.classicbullets.com

It is worth a visit just to see the pic of Mon Yee's 2,000lb trophy bull Bison taken just south of Dodge city two weeks ago.The brute was taken with our 475g flat point bullet fired from a 45-70 1874 Sharps rifle.

We will be adding a LOT more info on the site in the coming weeks for our fellow BPCR shooters.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

That is a very nice site. And what an absolutely beautiful animal. I know Mon Yee Is extremely proud of that trophy, not to mention a two year supply of great meat. :wink: Can't help but wonder what that monster dressed out at. I am guessing around 1400 pounds. And that robe will be big enough to cover a king sized bed and still drag on the deck. Or almost at least.

Thanks Sharpsnut
Lee Stone
Sharpsnut

Post by Sharpsnut »

Lee,

The robe squared 90ft+!!!!!!!!!The packing plant processed 400LBs of ground meat alone and most of the meat was made steaks and roasts!

I got to go on the hunt with Mon.It was pretty interesting..........

He was an older tough bull.He was part of a heard of 100.The rancher could not corral this old boy his whole life and it was time to put another bull out with the herd.A hunt was the only way that was going to happen.

The pasture he was hunted in was about 10,000 acres,so fair chase was not an issue(we did not see any fence at all except at the gate).Mon had to shoot pretty quick once the herd spotted him as there were some pretty crafty cows leading the herd.He shot at 150yards and hit the bull at the bottom of the heart.The bull fliched and stiffly walked about 100 yards uphill Mon put another shot almost on top of the second before the Bull expired on top of the ridge .I have never seen an animal take that kind of punishment and take so long to go down.He was an magnificent animal..

I have been a hunter all my life but that Buffalo hunt was both bitter and sweet.The hunt was exilarating (and the first steaks sure taste good) but I had a real pang of saddness when the old boy went down.It sort of made one think of how it must have been 120 years ago when the last of the wild Bison herds got hunted out.

I do think it's great we can all see Buffalo still today if we want to..
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Sharpsnut:

I understand your point:

"I have been a hunter all my life but that Buffalo hunt was both bitter and sweet.The hunt was exilarating (and the first steaks sure taste good) but I had a real pang of saddness when the old boy went down."

In my younger days, I would be the first to sign up for the hunt. Now, I guess I enjoy shooting my gun and watching the Buffalo, but hunting them?.........I don't know. I think as I've gotten older and had some health problems, I've started to shy away from it with certain critters. I would however, love to have a robe like you discribed and a big thick Buffalo steak. Sounds great.

Go figure, maybe it's "women 'o pause" on my part. ;-) ;-)

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Sharpsnut

Post by Sharpsnut »

I am a rancher's son(just Like Kenny Wasserberger).I grew up eating some pretty good Beef,but I sure like the taste of Buffalo.

As to my thoughts on hunting,about a year ago a BPCR shooting friend asked me if I could go back in time,what would I do?Before I could answer he said he would like to go back to 1870 and be a buffalo hunter.

I would like to go back to about 1700 and see the plains as they were before mankind totally changed everything forever .It would have been a sight to see.........

I still hunt.I just am more deliberate and considered in how I do it now...
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

As a former Biology (and Chemistry) teacher, I fully realize the ecological necessity of hunting. Since the the predator populations have been greatly reduced, an awful lot of our game animals such as deer would overpopulate, overbrowes and then get wiped out by starvation and disease. So hunting is an absolute must. However I, like you gentlemen, have become much more circumspect. I cannot help but feel a vicarious thrill at the thought and sight of hunting such a magnificant animal as that beautiful bull buffalo that Mon Yee shot. And I also cannot help but feel a tremendous sadness over the death of such a magnificent animal. As much as I love shooting, I have become quite content to shoot holes in targets or make noise on the metal targets (hopefully) and leave the hunting, in most cases, to those who enjoy it more than I do now. I would not go so far as to say I will not hunt anymore. And If I were to have the opportunity to take my son on a really good, fair chase buffalo hunt, chances are I could not pass such and opportunity up.

I really like the high degree of respect for our magnificent wild life displayed by the really fine gentlemen I have ever seen post on this forum.
Lee Stone
TYRVR

Itty Bitty Bullets:

Post by TYRVR »

Mr.Yee has some awful pretty bullets at a even prettier price.......shame they don't come in "Real" gun size,

Ol'Tye,
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
Sharpsnut

Post by Sharpsnut »

TV,

What size might that be?I sure am curious about that...
TYRVR

Real Gun Bullets

Post by TYRVR »

Real guns shoot a bullet of at least 1/2 inch Dia, pushed by at least 100 Gr.s powder, otherwise us real he-man types won't know when it goes off!
I confess that I own and shoot some of the "Girly" guns, but just for paper punching, there seems to be so much lead devoted to the smaller catridges these days, that pretty soon the rest of the world will think we are just wimps! How do you think it looks when some big sunburned squinchy eyed high plains rancher dressed in range worn clothes and heeled over boots sees a coyote endangering a newborn calf 1/3 of a mile away, reach onto his saddle and pull out a 38-55 or 40-65, slowly lift it to his shoulder and squeezes off a shot to have it frighten a rabbit and some birds in a bush about halfway to the coyote! Stuff like that gets around! pretty soon all them Saddam wanna-bees see that Americas toughest icon, the lonely cowboy is too sissy-fied to shoot a "REAL" gun and feels the time is right to strike the weakened country whose heroes shoot "Girl Guns". Next thing you know we is up to our hips in camels and minarets, so, in the interest of keeping America free, start shooting a "REAL" gun, and demand that your friends shoot real guns too, we must be eternally vigilant, and part of that vigilance is how we are percieved thru-out the world, ask yourself,"How do I want the world to see me, as wimp shooting a "Girly Gun" or as a true MAN with a "Big Fifty" in my grip?......Do it for America!

Ol'Tye, defending America with a Sharps fifty!
Sharpsnut

Post by Sharpsnut »

I see the humor in your postion...but,that Buffalo sure did not think we were not using enough gun!!! He died just the same....

Also,we DO cast .50 cal bullets..........
TYRVR

Buffalo dies from asphixiation!

Post by TYRVR »

Or something of the sort, if he had been shot with a fifty-not only would he have dropped in his tracks but his sister and two aunts would have been knocked unconcious too!
Sharpsnut, do you know what is available from Classic in .512?