Best muzzle velocity

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SOURDOUGH

Best muzzle velocity

Post by SOURDOUGH »

I know that there are an awful lot of opinions regarding the best of everything, but I was wondering what the readers of this forum think is the best or at least the range of muzzle velocity necessary to shoot black powder silhouette. For example, my load is a 535gr. postell in 45-70 and the muzzle velocity is around 1120. Is this enough velocity to stabilize this bullet and be consistent out to 500 meters? Thanks. :roll:
This ain't Australia, and you ain't Matthew Quigley!
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

I'm shooting the same bullet and getting 1137 over my Oehler chrono and getting good stabilization @ 500m. You should be OK. Good luck SOURDOUGH!
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

S D ! People were shooting at low velocities for reasons of wind drift being less at below or close to the speed of sound ! Now some are trying to get all of the velocity they can thinking that they are beating the wind ! But what is really happening is that they are getting better and faster bullet barrel time thus less follow through to contend with and more accuracy ! Missing by 2 inches or by 6 inches is still missing ! JAGG
JAGG
Vbull

Post by Vbull »

Sourdough,
1120-1150 is a good velocity for mid-range. Note the speed of a .22 std velocity round is in the same ball park. This velocity is or will go immediatly sub sonic and has enough weight in .45 cal to drop the Rams.
The reason for higher velocity at LR has more to do with vertical stringing . The slower velocities have a higher arc and higher angle when coming down at LR. I used a .45-70 several years ago and did well until the 900 yard line, things went down hill after that. Stepping into something that gave me 1250 fps and now 1360 fps reduced that problem at 1000 yds. A .45-70 might be able to get the higher velocities but not in a standard loading. 3F, throated out, heavily compressed, etc...

Regardless of what anyone says about LR target shooting, it is a wind dopers game. The guys that do the best don't always have the most accurate rifles or equipment. (Although it doesn't hurt) They do have the most range time and experience. Until someone comes up with a "homing" bullet, range time, range time, range time is what wins LR matches. Frank M.