Which Dies to Buy?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rbyrdman

Which Dies to Buy?

Post by Rbyrdman »

I currently have a set of Hornady 45-70 dies my wife bought me for Christmas, but the plug in the bullet seating die is deforming the Lyman 457125 cast bullets I am using.

I cant find a replacement plug that works wtih my dies so I am thinking about buying a new set.

What dies come with seating plugs that will work with the Lyman 457125 bullet?

Thanks,
Richard
rdnck

Dies

Post by rdnck »

Richard--Lyman dies come with a seating stem that will seat your Lyman bullet without any deformation. Shoot straight, rdnck.
RM

Post by RM »

I also shoot the 457125, and the seating stem of the the Lyman die does not fit the bullet nose and cuts a ring in it (the Lyman die set come with 2 seating stems, but does not fit this bullet). You might do what I have not got around to and give buffalo arms to call.... or check with Meachem to see if their inline seating die comes with a stem that works.

Rich
BWoos

Post by BWoos »

Richard,

I have a set of RCBS dies they only came with one stem for round nose bullets. I just loaded 50 of the 457125 520gr. bullets last night and the seating stem worked just fine, no rings. I wanted Redding dies but they gave me the wrong ones by mistake and I didn't know till I got home.

Brian
aka-slim

Post by aka-slim »

To make a perfect seating stem. Clean the inside of the stem you have, coat the outside of the stem, and the inside of the seat die with Johnson's paste wax, the stuff in the yellow can. Mix up a very small amount of some type of two part epoxy, ie. J-B Weld, Arc-Glass. Put it in the seat stem. Coat the nose of the bullet with wax also, gently seat a the bullet in the stem, and let set for approx, 12 to 24 hours, then clean up the dies and out side of the stem, take the bullet out. You have perfect seating stem. If you want to change bullets, just clean out the stem, and repeat the process. Hope this helps.

Keep your powder dry.

Slim
NRA Life
NLMRA Life
SASS Life
AGCA Life
ASSRA
U.S. Army, Special Forces, Retired