45-90 or 45-100

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

8iowa

45-90 or 45-100

Post by 8iowa »

I'm thinking very hard about another rifle in either 45x2.4 or 45x2.6. I don't want to go any higher.

Buffalo Arms makes 45x2.4 from "re-drawn" 45-70 brass. It appears as if the choices in 45x2.6 are Starline, Bell, and Bertram (ugh). Lyman inferrs, in their #48 manual that there isn't much difference in the two calibers. I suspect that the re-drawn brass has thinner walls which helps reduce the differences in capacity.

Would I indeed be better off with the 45-90? I would appreciate insight from members of the forum.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Powder capacity, powder capacity, and powder capacity! I have a 45-70 and a 45-100. I sometimes wish I had a 45-110 instead. At least with the 45-100 I can seat the bullet all the way in the case. I see 45-90's where guys have the bullets seated out to increase powder capacity. Starline is great brass, Buffalo arms also has redrawn brass to fit this caliber. To my way of thinking 45-90 is too similar to 45-70. - Mike
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Here goes the can of worms,

IMO anything more than 45- 2.4 is a waste of powder. I like the extruded BA brass for powder capacity and the fact it is already stretched. The 90 can do anything the 100 or 110 can do but cheaper. I am one that has a grease groove exposed, mainly to reach the riflings, and it does allow more powder. I'm compressing 92 gr. of Swiss 1.5 pushing a 540 P.Jones creedmore and getting 1344 fps. with great accuracy. What more do you need? Unless you want to ad some Coydog Cool Factor with bigger brass, go with the 2.6.

By the way...Chuck, where are you, it's your turn.
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
Omak Cowboy

music

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Harlan, Stoped by your site. Pretty neat!
Though I'd like to make one or two suggestions on music

How about "Tie Me Kangaroo Down" circa 1966

Unchained Melody was much cooler with the Rightous Bros..maybe you can put that one on. So was "Rock'n Roll Heaven"

"Love potion #9 " has also been a fav.

Oh and a couple of my cowboy favorites

Tumblin' Tumbelweeds

Ghost Riders in the Sky

and my all time

"Pride and the Badge" Marty Robbins 1979
A number of folks know that Marty's grandfather was a Texas Ranger. If you listen to the song it's pretty clear he's singing about his grandfather. Raises the hair on the back of your neck if you pay attention.

Cheers to down under from way up above
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Omak,

I just turned in your music request.
Wendy has had alot of fun on this web remodel job, but there is still alot to get done yet. She will try to find those requests and add to the juke box

AL Rittenhouse

Post by AL Rittenhouse »

Harlan
You best not be pickin on us 45-100 shooters. I turn Wendy loose on you with that smokin 45-70 and teach you a lesson Boy. Al :lol:
It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground
Merritt

Post by Merritt »

8iowa,

The shortest distance between two points being a straight line I'd
opt for the 2.6.

Do you want to use the heavy slugs that take up powder space? Why
up your case length .3" go the full half inch and enjoy a significant difference.

My 2.6 weighs `103/4 lbs and is a beautiful offhand rifle, perfectly balanced, a little on the lively side at that weight, but I like it like that!

I don't shoot 100 round sessions either.

I think the weight is the thing as it translates into recoil/ fun for you.
I'm sure both shells will shoot one hole all day long if you do your part.

Merritt
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Al,

She usually does show me up with her 45-70. Last year she taught everyone a lesson or two at Alliance.

I was in Cabela's Saturday and talked to a gentleman from Cheyenne that just joined the club there. I watched him buy a Pedersoli Quigley 45-120 off the used rack. He said he is new to this sport and wanted to get a Sharps. For once I kept my mouth shut and opinions to myself, but I don't think he new what he was really buying or getting into with a 120. It wont be long and he will be getting a second rifle.

MRich

Post by MRich »

8iowa:

This was my personal delima two years ago. I went with the 45-2.4 due to the cost of brass. The 2.4 is roughly two the cost of 45-2.1. and is readily available.

The other sizes of brass will run much higher than 45-2.4. Then again get what you want, "you onlly go around once".

MRich
N2

Post by N2 »

8iowa - The difference between a 45-2.4" (45-90) and a 45-2.6" (45-100) is about 50-75 fps with any given bullet as a direct result of the difference in powder capacity. There is a small price to pay for the 45-100's higher performance and that is recoil. As recoil tolerance varies from shooter to shooter you'd have to be the judge of what you consider to be too much.

I find the 45-90 can be made to shoot accurately over a wider velocity range than the 45-100 which makes it a better choice for an "all around" rifle caliber. If all you're interested in is Creedmoor the 45-100 is hard to beat, but the 45-90 is no slouch either.

I personally prefer the redrawn Buffalo Arms 45-70 brass in my 45-90 over Starline. It does have slightly more capacity and you don't hear anyone talking about the necessity for annealing the BA brass before you shoot it. Buffalo Arms also offers redrawn 348 Win brass for the 45-100 and 45-110. This is also excellent brass at a reasonable price. - Nick
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

Thanks guys:

I'll probably lean toward the 45-90. I don't want a real heavy rifle and don't really wish to absorb any more recoil than necessary.

Harlan: You should have opened your mouth. I tell people to be very wary of purchasing an Italian rifle chambered for a non SAAMI cartridge. By the way, consider "the Big Country" and "the Magnificent Seven" - great web site music.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
Josh A.

45-100

Post by Josh A. »

8iowa:
For what it is worth, I cannot imagine a substantive difference between the 45-90 and the 45-100. I commonly load my 45-100 to 45-70 levels for silhouette and rev it up if I am going to shoot at 1000+yds.

The 45-100 can do anything the 45-90 can do, the reverse may not true.

Of course, this is all from the theoretical perspective. Individual rifles and components my change field performance.

Either choice will be fine, but do be scared of the 45-100 it is plenty versatile.

J
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Wainer

2.4 or 2.6

Post by Wainer »

8iowa,
I'm with Merritt and Josh on this one. I had the same decision to make. I went with the 100. One has to be individual and bold. Why limit your case capacity or deal with exposed grease grooves if you want to shoot big bullets.
Be bold and choose the 100.
The tomb is still empty.Peace brother.
Josh A.

Post by Josh A. »

not

sorry forgot a word...was that a Freudian slip?

J
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
AL Rittenhouse

Post by AL Rittenhouse »

Harlan
The guy at Cabela's was going for that Coydog way cool factor. I just can't even imagine why you would want to tackle a hornet's nest like a 120 :? :? :?
It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground