Runout getting worse.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Gregg Simon

Runout getting worse.

Post by Gregg Simon »

Going to try to keep this simple. Loading for the 45-110. I like to index my bullets on runout.

Recently I have noticed that my runout has increased from an average of .0025" to an average of .025" after having loaded the same cases 3 to 4 times.

My reloading procedure is as follows:
1) New brass is full length sized. (Won't fit tight chamber if I don't)
2) Expanded.
3) Trimmed.
4) Fireformed.
From this point on I only neck size and expand.

I am using Norma brass, Forester Co-Ax press and a Lyman Neck sizing and seating dies. I have noticed that the case head is not square with the body of the case and think this may be the culprit.

Here's the question ....... anyone else ever experience a problem similar to this?

Thanks
Gregg
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

An often overlooked item in the process to successfully fabricate match-grade ammunition is the shell holder, which @ times acts as a magnet to attract dust, dirt, errant powder granules & residue, etc. I

t doesn’t take much foreign matter to throw the shell seating off center.

A pipe cleaner is very handy for cleaning it out. As a matter of habit, I clean the shell holder before each loading session & remove it from the press when done.
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

MR45110
You might also want to check the squareness of your press relative to the case holder, die and ram. Its also possible the block of your rifle is not square relative to the chamber or has excessive 'play'. This is assumming that by 'case head' your referring to the case base and not the bullet end.
By runout, are you referring to case stretching?
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!