two shot wonder ?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

wolfie

two shot wonder ?

Post by wolfie »

i know i am still green at this but the last trip to the range i was toying around with some 2f cleanshot powder and some 405gr flat points and 500gr schmittzers in my 45/110,the 405's looked more like a shot gun pattern so i gave up on them but the 500gr would groop about an inch for the first 2 shots then go to heck was blow tubing real regular so cleaned th barrel no leading not much fowling?shot another groop first 2 under an inch then went to heck again.to say i was confused i an under statment,any thoughts :?should i work with this any more?
ps Kenny and Rdnk i got me some 1f goex and 535 postels to try next trip. i am going make this baby shoot yet :)
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Wolfie,

Try cleaning with wet and dry patch after each shot to see if you can get a good group. Maybe the gun doesn't like the blowing (I almost used an off color comment but thought I'd let that go) and just wants to be cleaned after each shot.

I did find though, that FG Goex worked best in my 45/100. But, then again, if you get consistent two shot groups within an inch, keep working on that load.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Wolfie,

Push a patch through the barrel after the second shot to see what your fouling looks like. You may need to increase the number of heavy breaths you give it. Or/and increase your lube.
Lee Stone
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

I've been going thru a learning curve in loading BP cartridges. I too suffered shotgun type patterns with some of my first loads. The bullets were cast from an unknown lead wire alloy and I think this was my major problem. I've switched to 30-1 alloy and my groups are much much better.

I've also mounted a Lyman Mag II turret press on my bench and use five dies in the loading process. I believe that the compression die from Buffalo arms and the taper crimp die have also improved my ammunition.

This is not as simple as loading your old .270.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"