REMOVING LEADING

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BUFFALO JIM

REMOVING LEADING

Post by BUFFALO JIM »

I shoot a 45-90 using chey cast bullets at this time untill I can puchase equipment to pour my own. after I shoot 50 to 100 rounds I begin to develope leading. removing the lead is a hard job and was wondering if any of you found a way to do this easier than another???

Thanks for your response ahead of time.

Jim
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

You can buy a product that looks like a cleaning cloth in many gun shops. I believe it is called "Lead Wipe Away" or something to that effect. It is a yellow cloth impregnated w/ a very mild abrasive that will remove the lead. Just cut an appropriate sized patch, wrap it on a bore brush, & run it thru the bore followed up by regular cleaning of the bore.

Another way is to go the styore & look for a product called "Chore Boy Pot Scrubber." Unravel a few sections of pot scrubber & wrap them a round a well fiting brush. The mild copper will safely remove any lead.
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

I have found that using Kroil in the bore and letting it sit for 15 minutes or so and then pushing a tight fitting Kroil-soaked patch through the bore will usually take out any leading.
Steve
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

While I almost always defer to my friend Mr. Newman, this time I am going to have to think real hard about putting "chore girl" down the barrel of a 3 or 4 thousand dollor rifle. His idea of the lead removal cloth however is a good one. This stuff seems to be a very good lead remover.

Lead is a relative thing. I am not sure that anyone can shoot one of these rifles with there over 500 grn soft cast bullets and not get some leading. But how much lead is more than normal? I personally feel that those little specks of lead on the cleaning patch are normal amd there after each and every shot, most of this leading is blown out with the next shot. When you start to get those small strings of lead I begin to worry a little, but they come out pretty easy with a Kroil soaked patch. If you are having to scrub the bore to get out the leading then there is a problem. Are you using a good lube? Are you blow tubing enough? Is the barrel getting way too hot during that string of shots? All of these are questions you need to answer. Maybe the problem lies in your load. What type of wads are you using? Are you getting some bad gas cutting on the base of these bullets? Maybe the answer is as simple as cleaning more often. 50 to 100 shots without wiping may be to much for your combination of load, lube and fouling management and bullet. Good Luck

Gunny
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "WOW, what a ride!"
Hangfire

Lead Removel

Post by Hangfire »

Hi Buffalo Jim
My name is Hangfire (Shep) Did you try a electric lead removel rod made by Outers. I have a long range express the rod is to short. If you try it let me know how it works
arnie

Post by arnie »

A guy that shoots at our monthly silhouette matches has found through his SASS friends a cloth that i think works better than the lead away cloth for removing lead from a barrel.This stuff works so good he contacted the factory and is buying it by the case and selling it .Its available at some grocery stores in the house hold cleaning area .Its called KRAZY KLOTH.Buy some and cut them into cleaning patch size and give it a try.If it doesnt fit tight in your barrel put a patch under it . Arnie