who out there shoots a 63 Sharps

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Amigo

who out there shoots a 63 Sharps

Post by Amigo »

Hi
Just wondering how many people out there shoot a Shiloh 63.Haven t seen too many posts concerning them and was thinking about how popular they might be.I have a 63 sporter that is currently in production
54 cal ,heavy half 30 inch barrel,pewter tip and patchbox.I plan on using her primarily for hunting but am going to see just how accrurate I can make her shoot and enter her in some of the local gong shoots against the 74s.
Jeff
Always aim to be careful and always be careful
to aim
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

I like your style Amigo!

I have had 63's in the past but never shot them in competition?? I did however shoot one of my 74's against full blown modern silhouette rifles with bright painted stocks and also modern hunting rifles in turkey shoots! I used to win sometimes at ranges out to 300 yards with all shots off-hand.

One of my favorite stunts was to shoot a muzzle loading rifle in skeet shoots against modern shotguns. I got a lot of funny looks but still managed to break a few clays.

Point is...it's the thrill of competition and the pure fun of it!!

:P
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Tejas Raz

Post by Tejas Raz »

How about a big hurrah for doing the unusuall! Go for it! It'd be a blast to go against the modern rifles on some steel. One of these days I'll give it a go myself. Been there with the BP loads in my old 1896 L.C. Smith damascus double on the sporting clays and skeet fields and a bunch of my friends have done it with their smoothie .62 and .77 cal flintlocks on birds. Pure D Fun! Wow them guys and make them rethink their thinking! Maybe even make some converts... hmmmm?
Scott Rasmussen
aka: Tejas Raz - Semper Fi!
http://community.webshots.com/user/tejas_raz
.45-70 Gov't, .40-60 Maynard & Patched Round Ball
NRA Life
Amigo

Post by Amigo »

Hi
Actually with the proper bullet and loads and of course sights I don t believe I will be handicapped at all when going against some of theguys shooting a 74 sharps at our gong events.Most here are held from 100 to 300 yards and I think that at that range an old 63 can keep right up with the 74 guys.I use to own a Shiloh 63 military rifle in 45 cal and it was one
accrurate rifle and it also had the advantage in that it took the same bullets as my 45/70.I wish Shiloh still offered their 63s in 45cal, I liked the fact that I had a whole range of bullet moulds to choose from compared to what is avaiable for a 54cal rifle.

Jeff
Always aim to be careful and always be careful
to aim
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

I, as well several others on this board, shoot the 54 cal. '63 carbine in N-SSA competition. Ranges are 50 and 100 yards, offhand, with military sights/triggers. Great carbines. In fact, I like my '63 carbine so much that I just ordered a '74 military carbine in 30/40. Should be done in May or so.
gmartin

TO Amigo

Post by gmartin »

Amigo, I lost 2 replies to you so I'll answer condensed I guess. I ramble anyway. I own a Shilo mod. 63 carbine @ 1978 and love this gun. Have killed two black bear in Alaska while in the army there. (young, really didn't need to do that.) With the Sharps of course. I too would like to compete with th 74's in BPCR matches, "with" not against. Attended my first BPCR Silhouette match as viewer, what a ball! Think that with a sporting tang sight I won't totally embarass myself. Can"t afford a ctg. Sharps yet but I'm well read and enthused! Also enthused about your rifle. Am curious about your loads, accuracy, sights etc. see my site at Model 63 accuracy, etc., I believe. We exist out there!!! G. Martin.