Which Way Should I Go?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Dan

Which Way Should I Go?

Post by Dan »

Help me out gang. You've given advice to others and helped them spend their money. Now, it is my turn! I need some general guidance. I've got the pesos for a down payment on my next Shiloh and need some advice before I make the final plunge.

I currently own a Shiloh #3 in 45-70. I've been shooting it for just over two years and now have the itch to try a different caliber. I'm sorta a traditionalist by nature so I want to stick to the cartridges and rifles configured for the buffalo period and could have worked on the big hunt. Therefore, I'm strongly leaning toward a 50-90 with the 50-70 as a strong possibility. Also another choice is the .45 2 7/8th as it seems attractive as well. I have no interest in a 45-90 as it is too close to what I currently have and the 45-100 wasn't originally intended as a hunting cartridge. So that leaves me with the .45 2 7/8s as my only other choice other than the 50s.

I realize there is some economy of scale by sticking with the .45 . . .same bullets etc. Frankly that is not an issue for me. I have no problem ordering new dies, getting different bullets, wads, etc.

Now here is what I do and am planning on doing with this new beast . . .

I typically shoot the 45-70 rifle for just the "fun of it" and at long range gong shoots up to 1000 yards. I have no interest or intentions of ever going the competition route. I realize I should never say "never" but I'm very committed on this "never!" Also I want a rifle that has some "WOW" factor from the ignorant who roam the firearms community and have never seen or heard of these cartridges. I really like shooting beside them and giving them a run for their money with their hi-powered rifles, optics and other gadgets.

The only "organized" shooting I do or ever plan on doing is the continuation of these long range gong shoots and perhaps making the trek to the Quigley some year. I plan on at least one buffalo hunt before I depart this earth so the rifle will be used for that purpose. I may pack it on a deer, elk or moose hunt someday.

So you’re probably wondering what my biggest anxiety is in purchasing my new rifle? Recoil! Pure and simple . . .Recoil is my biggest concern. I don't know why but I don't appreciate getting pounded by a rifle and trying to nurse the headache afterwards. Call me a whimp I guess . . . I really want the 50-90 . . .badly! That is what I "want" but I've never shot one, never seen one and am reluctant to plunk down $2000 in purchasing a new rifle and all the accruements associated with the new rifle and then have the thing parked in the safe because it beats me up physically and psychologically.

All I want this rifle for is another "fun gun." I will one day hunt with it and will definitely shoot it a lot for the pure joy of it. I don't need it for the gong shoots but may take it to try it for size one day.

My preference is to order a 50-90 with a 28" barrel for packing for hunting. It would weight around 9 to 11 pounds. But being a realist and knowing this bugger is going to kick hard, I’m thinking of sticking with a 30" barrel and going the 12-pounder route to tame some of the recoil for "playing" Or should I add a couple of extra pounds on the barrel for taking the sting out of it? 14 pounds is a lot of iron to pack in the woods! I’m going to play more than I hunt. So this means I'm going to have to go to the gym in order to pack this hummer around on the Nebraska plains and in the deer forests!

I guess I can go with 50-70 in the 30" and 12 pound range but the "WOW" factor just isn't there like the 90.

Help me out . . . give me some guidance. Should I go the 50-90 or 50-70 or neither and stick with what I’ve got? If you suggest I go with the 50 then which one? And which way do I configure it for? 28” @ 9 pounds for hunting? 30” @ 12 pounds for hunting/playing? Or, bulk up with 30” @ 14 pounds for playing/hunting & less recoil?

Which way do I go?
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Dan:

Whichever way you go, adding weight is always a good idea.

Also,

Shiloh can also add a "Braco" recoil reducer to your rifle.

Buffalo Arms sell recoil pads that go under your shirt. They work real well. Your shoulder will thanks you.

Hope this helps,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
deerhuntsheatmeup

OK, my 2 cents...

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

You asked, here you go, 44-77 period. Coolness factor way up there, original buffalo round that was proven long ago, and the fire power to do anything you mentioned. Later, DH
Troll

Post by Troll »

My grandfather has an orignal 44-90 BN Mecham Sharps 1863 conversion. It's a tack driver. I don't know if Shiloh makes this orignal hunting round. But it seems to have alot of "WoW" factor.
-Finese is choosing the right size hammer
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Dan,

I suspect I am about like you. I currently have a Browning .45/70 that weighs just over 12 lbs. that I shoot and enjoy a lot. I enjoy shooting targets and silhouettes, etc., but I am just not particularly interested in getting into the competition game. Not that it wouldn't be fun, but I just have way too many other irons in the fire (e.g. fishing, predator hunting and you name it).

That said, I to wanted to get a genuine Sharps in a traditional hunting caliber, and wanted a caliber that I could hunt with and shoot long range targets, etc. With that in mind I ordered the .45/110 with the 30" heavy octagon barrel. The Shiloh people said it should weigh a little over 12 lbs.

If you're interested in bigger than elk size targets (e.g. moose, buffalo, and large bears) you might be a little better off with the .50/90, but probably not by much. Nevertheless, either that or the big .45 are both going to have some serious thump, when the bullet meets the hide.

Regards
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Dan,

I hate to be the one to tell you this but you just can't live with only one more sharps that will do all of the things you want to do. Soon you will be sharps poor like many of us with mulitple special purpose rifles. If you have the budget then it can be a fun journey.

I would suggest you make your next rifle very different from the one you already have as this will get you the most bang for the buck. Consider getting that 50-90 with a traditional steel buttplate and a 30" bull barrel. I think you will find this combination very pleasing in all respects. My big fifty keeps me grinning as other rifles come and go.

See you in the poor house! :wink:
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Tejas Raz

Post by Tejas Raz »

You sound like obviously many of us think. I'm probably right there along side of you in my shooting needs. Currently have a .45-70 and .40-60 Maynard, but really want something unique for the "Wow" factor. The intangible the really makes us stand out!

That being said, the .50's have that cool factor. I like the .44-77 and 44-90 ideas. Not nearly enough of them around and they are probably the top of the heap when it comes to originallity. But for me, the straight cases hold my interest more. I'd say due to it's rareness and everyone seems to shy away from it, the .40-90 SS should be considered too. But the one that REALLY gets my blood stirring is the .50-80 2"! I know it's not currently offered, but I'd like (no, want) to see it added to the lineup. It's original from what I've recently read here and it's not stubby, short like the .50-70. And the recoil would maybe be just enough less than the .50-90 to be a good match with a "lighter" 12-13 pound rifle. I do like the idea of having on of the 14 pounders like the real old time hunters seemed to favor and yes, even though it's heavy, I'd carry one out in the woods and to he!! with the weight. I picked up the big one at the Dallas show and it's not really that bad, but then again, I own a 16 pound rifle now and one that the boys in Iraq carry with them every day for pounding single, well placed shots into bad guys who want to stir things up. The M40A1. A .50-80 or .50-90 would be perfect in one of those big, hunking barrels. And like you said, you're going to shoot it more than you're going to hunt it so why not?

There you go, another opinion. And another big-time vote to bring out a .50-80 2"!!!

Scott
Scott Rasmussen
aka: Tejas Raz - Semper Fi!
http://community.webshots.com/user/tejas_raz
.45-70 Gov't, .40-60 Maynard & Patched Round Ball
NRA Life
rdnck

FWIW

Post by rdnck »

Dan--I'll just say this: If recoil is your main concern, you won't like a 50-90 in a 12 pound rifle. You won't like a 45-110 in that weight, either. rdnck.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Dan,
My choice for the Buffalo gun of my dreams is the Saddle rifle in 40-90 SBN, with about a 15 pound overall weight. I currently shoot a 40-82 with a 440 grain bullet in a 13 pound rifle [Browning] and the recoil is there, but it only starts to to wear on me after 100 rounds or so. I am recoil sensitive, so I shoot my 40-50 SBN #1 Sporter more than the 40-82, but for long range [over 600 yards] the 40-90 SBN would be great. Original buffal cartridge also.
One observation about the 45-70. I can not tolerate shooting my friends 45-70 with a 550 grain bullet. I think that if you shoot a 50-90 with a bullet that is not much heavier than the 45-70 bullet you are shooting now, the recoil may not be much more than your 45-70. Just something else to think about.
Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT