where to shoot a buffalo

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Halfcock

where to shoot a buffalo

Post by Halfcock »

Perhaps someone on this forum can help. Where is the best place to shoot a buffalo at close range, causing the least amount of stress to the animal? I would think a neck shot, but where do I locate it's spine? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks - paul
Stan Koslow

Post by Stan Koslow »

Smack behind the ear. Killed one old bull, little over a ton with a 44 cal pill smack dab between the eyes. Sounded good at the time. After the hit his tail went up (not a good thing in buff lingo) blew blood from his nose, mouth and ears. 75 yards and nothing between us except air. He stood there shaking his head (he was upset) for probably 45 seconds before he folded dead. Felt the ground move when he hit. Had a hole in him so clean it was like he was drilled with a brace bit. Tough critters. Thank the creator there not toothy critters.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Halfcock, I agree, right behind the ear. That is if you have a nice clear shot and are able to assure that you can make the shot. I got a nice bull in Oct with just such a shot. He ran for 50-75 yds blowing blood the whole way, then lay down to die. I followed a little too soon and he tried to get back up necessitating a follow up shot which was about 2 inches above the first. Hunt over!

The first shot took out the carotid areteries and the windpipe, and the second transected the cervical spine.

If you aren't sure you can make this shot, go for the heart/lung shot. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Omak Cowboy

shot placement

Post by Omak Cowboy »

"Behind the ear' was the favorite place of my Grandfather for bear. But as I recall there is the "Seven Second' rule that states many critters can fun seven second when shot...and if you are in the path..well Woe onto you!"

Did see, think it was in the Shiloh site or somesuch of a very large buff pretty much doing a headstand after been hit with I think it was a 50. Anyway, seems like a "lights OUT!" kind of situation.

Read somewhere else too that buffalo do have a nasty side and all without being shot. Hope these folks on the range have backup. Kind of hate to have a ton of wounded buff decide I was a poor idea and no "alternate Plan B" afoot.
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Stan Koslow

Post by Stan Koslow »

You realllllly want to have some fun. Head and heel a sick cow and watch her jump like a deer. They really don't care for horses much either. Beter yet, grab one of her calfs 'roped from a flatbed' and drag that newbie under a two ton truck to doctor. Yep, a 750 pound mama buff can do the same as a ten ton jack lifting that bed off the ground trying to dig er way to get to you and her baby. Those first drops had coats the color of a golden lab, all silkies.

Used to think putting a bull rope on a sick cow in the Teco shoot was fun after a little doctoring. You know a barely standing sick cow can jump a seven foot pipe fence with you on it. Remember one night taking a one way flight over the propane tanks. That was a groin pull! It was also the night I believe that the Absorbine horse litimant warmed me up like I still have never been warmed before, if you know what I mean.

Worked a herd of about 2,500. Buff ain't like bull. A bull will usually close his eyes just before he touches you. A buff on the other hand will give you a poke and oil check too, but it's the feet that will tear you up and dig your grave and never blink their eye. I once saw a perty smart cow dog get his. Buff don't quit on you and when they smell blood, there is no telling what they might do. Call them just damn goofy sometimes. Looking back, I remember standing in a water tank one evening with a bunch of buff cows thinking they were the welcome wagon. Stayed their for a while before help came. Those boots were never the same either. Kinda like a moose sometimes, they will sit under the tree for a day if they put their mind to it.

But in fairness to him I did have a friend who fed his one ton best friend 'Bully' a loaf of store bought bread every day and always felt safe. In fact he swore ole Bully would protect him if one of the younger bulls got an attitude. I believe that to this day.

I never thought much about wrangling buff, back then, they were just a pain in the a,,,,. and I was young and dumb. Now, I have another opinion. Kinda like given a gift. How many fathers these days can tell thier sons stories about running with the 'Buff". Or maybe in the proper context, 'Running from him'. Oh, wake up, this is a shooting forum. Sorry.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Good post Stan, I enjoyed every word of it. Thanks.
Lee Stone
Omak Cowboy

Buff, and such

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Stan, what a great story(s). Yep you are right there aren't many dads who can tell thier sons about runn'n with buffs. I have to say I've been around cattle a bit and I don't envy you the story.! I can appreciate what happened to those boots! Could have happend to me..cept the pucker factor was pretty off the scale :oops:

As a young man - dumb enough NEVER to question the wisdom or lack thereof of his elders - I was more 'in once put in a nasty position. Only reason I'm here is God reached his hand down and saved my poor sorry, stupid butt- cuz I shore wasn't bright enough to take care of myself all on my own.
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

I am not sure that I would want to get on the bad side of somene that could say he "Went Toe To Toe With A Buffalo"---Match Point Stan The Man!
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
Stan Koslow

Post by Stan Koslow »

I want no confusion here. Any man that plays with the buff toe to toe is a man who pees upstream and takes his drink down stream. Or another way to put it, takes his morning constitutional in a pasture with his spurs on, if you know what I mean. Any man who mounts himself on a fine steed just to run alongside a mass of possible rugs is either plain foolish or damn hungry. There is no intended inference to intelligence or prowess here, just the probable lack of. Youth does avail us to some good excuses. :wink:
pete

Post by pete »

Good story Stan. Whether you hunt or not I think it's great these awesome animals are still with us today.
Stan Koslow

Post by Stan Koslow »

Pete,

You bet Pete. I am no tree hugger, so don't take this the wrong way. Let me check the tri tip...... I'm back...If anyone of you want a memorable experience I suggest this.

Get real close, I mean real, real close and look straight into the eye of a mature buff. He will speak to you through his eyes like no other animal ever can. I have only seen this with a buff. he don't need to talk, he does. Do this once and I promise you , you will think twice before ever dropping a hammer on one again. Don't want to take away from those of you that never seen one fall, that to is an experience you will share. Stan
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Halfcock,
I have never hunted buffalo but have killed a lot of deer(mostly whitetails) and antelope but I think it safe to say you do not want to try a neck shot on any big game animal. It is possible to get a quick kill with this shot but just as easy to plow through some non-vital tissue and get a wounded animal that runs to the next county and suffers needlessly. Good luck with your hunt! Man I couldn't believe the size of a fully skinned out and tanned hide from one of these critters the first time I saw one.
Sharpsnut

Post by Sharpsnut »

Halfcock,

The replies to your question have been most entertaining.To reply to your origional post,I do agree that a behind the ear shot would be great in a perfect world.

HOWEVER,that all depends on how close you are and how accurately you can place the bullet.Getting the perfect rear angle and then hitting an area the size of a softball behind a buff's ear is often easier said than done in the field.

If the distance is far enough or the angle prevents the rear angling brain/neck shot ,my vote is for the top of the heart/bottom of the spine shot right behing the shoulder with a 400GR or heavier,.40 to .45 cal bullet.A shot 1/3 to 1/2 of the way up the side right behind the foreleg does the trick.

Most folks make the mistake of shooting at the point of the shoulder(not good).As long as the shot is just behind the front leg,however,he will drop...

Such a shot takes out the top of the heart(where all the major "plumming" hooks into it) and/or clips the bottom of the spine,which generally drops them in their tracks.

I have seen animals from Antelope to one ton Beef cattle drop instantly with such shots.... :wink:
Pitspitr

Re: where to shoot a buffalo

Post by Pitspitr »

[quote="Halfcock"]Perhaps someone on this forum can help. Where is the best place to shoot a buffalo at close range, causing the least amount of stress to the animal? I would think a neck shot, but where do I locate it's spine? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks - paul[/quote]

Gosh I'm glad I waited to answer, I was going to say Nebraska. Boy would I have felt stupid :lol:
Jerry M. Davenport

I said, "I never had much use for one."
I never said I didn't know HOW
Bentsight

Post by Bentsight »

Paul
Went on my first Buffalo Hunt 3 years ago. Didn't want to go on one of those "canned hunts" where you drive up to the heard in a pickup, get
out and shake a bag of range cubes out on the ground,wait for the heard to gather around and "hunt " for your Buffalo. Chose one instead that encourages primative firearms(muzzle loader) and hunting methods. Spent alot of time with the guide on shot placement before the hunt. Wanted to have my act together well before the hunt in case things got crazy.(whole other story!) He gave a good anatomy lesson on a Buffalos vitals and best kill shot locations depending on target angle.
Also told me some about their strengths and weaknesses, speed and endurance but poor eyesight. All that being said, the best place was between the eyes approx. 2-3 inches high. The 2-3 inches high part being very important because this will penetrate the brain and sever the spinal colum. This will drop them in their tracks while a shot placed lower just rattles around in the nasal cavity and REALLY makes them mad. He also told me and later saw that their vitals are carried lower in the body than say a deer or elk after we started the cleaning process on this animal. This would be good to keep in mind if you're only presented a body shot to not take the high shoulder shot if you have to really put him down fast.
Mike
Always tell the truth...That way you never have to remember what you said