Calling Steve Witt

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jerry Williams

Calling Steve Witt

Post by Jerry Williams »

Question? Which Chronograph do you use and why? I am about to invest in a new toy. Thanks :D
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I use an Oehler 35P. First I wanted to have the sky screens and the electronics separate so I would not end up shooting the expensive part. I like the led read out for immediate info but I also like the paper print out for record keeping. I also like the 3 sky screen arrangement. It tells you right away if you have a good reading or an erroneous reading. The Oehler 35P is a little on the pricey side but I feel it is well worth it to me.

I'm not Steve Witt, but I just thought I would throw in an opinion for you to weigh in your quest for the new toy.
Lee Stone
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

I second Lee's suggestion. I also have an Oehler 35P. The three screens give you absolute confidence in your readings.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
Outrider

Calling Steve Witt

Post by Outrider »

Sorry, I'm not Steve either. But, since you're on the subject of chronographs and specifically the Oehler 35P, who has the best price on them? Or do you get them directly from Oehler? I've had the inexpensive Chronys. I'm not bashing them, they're O.K. but I want to step up a few notches. :mrgreen:
Remember....We get the government that we deserve.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I got my Oehler 35P, 4ft mounting kit, and carrying case from Brownells. I haven't found the 35P being offered by anyone else, so I don't know how Brownell's price on it is.
Lee Stone
8iowa

oredering from Oehler

Post by 8iowa »

Outrider:

I started with the Oehler 35, which I ordered directly from Oehler. You can now order from their web site, www.oehler-research.com. The cost of the std. model 35 is $225, which includes 3 sky screens and a 2 ft. mounting rail. I've used this unit extensively for about four years. Since I record each shot, as I shoot, into my loading record manual, I haven't really felt the need for a the printer.

Recently I found a 35P at a gun show for $200. Factory cost is $335. Now that I have two, I plan to place the 35P at 100 yards and measure ballistic coefficients.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"