Poll-- Best or Most Favorite BPCR Shoot ??

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Gunny

Poll-- Best or Most Favorite BPCR Shoot ??

Post by Gunny »

Guy's I would like to have a little poll. What are you favorite BPCR shoots around the country. Either ones you have attended are would like too. Only criterea is it must be a SS BPCR match either Silhouette, Long Range, Mid-Range, Creedmoor or Gong.

I will get this thing started with one very obvious shoot the NRA Nationals at Raton. This is a serious shoot and should be included in any discussion about shooting these old smoke poles. I also am going to include the Cyber Shoot at Mexia, I was in on the ground floor of this Big Bore --Little Bore Challange match and it was a hoot.

So hows about it lets here about those BPCR shoots.

Gunny
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "WOW, what a ride!"
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Gunny,

Iwill jump on this one, Gotta be Silhouette. Why, instant results, great friends, and Krystal likes to shoot it also. Requires real BP loads and the effort by todays marksmen is pretty impressive at the 500 meter line with our guns.

Next is Long Range ie Creedmoor it would be #1 if Krystal shot it too I think and its where my heart often lies.

Gong Matches are fun and the lest thing I would attend, why, too lose of rules and often too many people and half the clowns show up shooting smokeless Powder YUCK! I have seen so much cheating and such at these matches they no longer intrest me much.

Now for the biggie, Traditional Creedmoor, fun of ringing steel like Silhouette and the mix of LR. As you and I talked on the phone the other night Traditional Creedmoor is not a gong match, yes its steel targets that dont fall down but there is a catch!

Gong matches, a hit is a hit a point no mater where or how. In Traditional Creedmoor the guy that wins is the one that hits the Center the most as in the Original Creedmoor match the targets are of steel and the center or Bull is of a different type and makes a different sound. And nothing like hitting the center bull at 1000 yards its as close as one can get to the real deal from 120 years ago. If a guy hits the middle more then the other fellows> true test of an accurate rifle and load and the shooter< he wins and that is the way it should be.

For a guy like me, working man limited time off, Silhouette and Creedmoor are where my time is spent. If on the odd chance a local gong match is on my weekend off I will attend but I sure wont be burning vacation for one.

Thats my take on it.

Kenny lil brother, Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

PS

the Vote!
#1 Raton Sihouette and Creedmoor Nationals
#1B World Creedmoor Match at Raton
#2 My Creedmoor Match
#3 Pala Silhouette Regional
#4 Missoula Creedmoor Regional

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Smokin

Favorite matches

Post by Smokin »

Being a relative tyro at this endeavor, my favorites will probably seem pretty pedestrian compared to those of you with greater experience. However, my favoritest is the Quigley shoot. It's a marvelous collection of wonderful people and a fun, if somewhat slow, shoot. Were it not so popular, we could just breeze through it, but somehow it got discovered and, thank goodness, Al will let almost anyone join in.

Next among my favorites are the long range shoots. Again, I've not yet had the chance to run with the tall dogs and shoot at any of the super shoots, but we have 2 long range shoots here on the frozen tundra, in addition, I have been able to shoot at the Stallman's long range shoots in Lodi Wisconsin.

Next among my favorites are the local gong matches we have on the frozen tundra and next door in the frozen forests. All in all, that's about 12 matches a year. It keeps a guy melting lead on a regular basis, that's for sure. Good shooting, Smokin
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Oh boy, that's like asking what is your favorite icecream. However, hearing the steel ring does more for me that punching paper. I've been hooked on long range and buffalo matches for about 6 years and I finally shot my first silhouette match at Reton last year. Maybe after a few more silhouette matches I can decide, but for now its steel over paper....and vanilla with chocolate topping.

Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Smokin,
You are right about the "Q" any discussion about these old rifles would have to include that shoot. I only wish that the "Q" was a little different. When you really think about it that silly movie has done more for all of these sports and sold more Shiloh's than any thing else. The shoot on the other hand is a different story. I wish personally that it was a Black Powder shoot it's not. It is a shoot where you can shoot Black Powder if you want too but it certainly is not required. Even the rifles do not have to be period correct. It is a shame that a shoot with that name doesn't live up to it. On the other hand not all of these shoots need to be a serious affair, it is a cool thing that there is a shoot that is just pure fun, and I think that is what the "Q" is. If you asked a number of the folks at the "Q" if they where there for some serious shooting "competition" i think most of them would say they where there for some serious "Fun". There are plenty of serious shoots out there. Raton is certainly one, it is a serious shoot and most of the shooters are pretty damn serious as well. Severeal of the State Silhouette matches are serious as well, Montana being an example. At this shoot there are severeal bragging rights on the line, it is a damn tuff place to shoot well and a win there is really something.

Harlan,
Silhouette is a hell of a game, I am glad that you have decided to give it a try. I find it to be very challanging and there is more to the game of Silhouette than first meets the eye. But watch your self it can become habit forming.

Gunny
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "WOW, what a ride!"
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Gunny,

You are absolutely right, about the silhouette game, I think am hooked after the first match, now if I can figure out how to see the targets beyond the pig line I'll be in good shape.

The push of the big gun, smell of black powder burning and the ringing of steel down range....don't get better than that........oh ya, a big bowl of icecream before bed.

Harlan

Jsmith0013

Post by Jsmith0013 »

Gunny:
I love the silhouette game. It's brought discipline and allowed me to measure my progress, but the funnest match I attend is Denny Wilcox's Golden Spike Buffalo match at Promintory, Utah. Saturday mornings we shoot at gongs from 200 yds (offhand) to 600 yds. The 500 yd target has a 12 center that spins if hit and counts an extra point. Saturday afternoon we fire at official sized steel Creedmoor targets at 800, 900 and 1000 yds. The centers count an extra point. Sunday morning is the Buffalo match in which we fire at a life sized buffalo at 1123 yds. It has a 44" center to it that counts as an extra point if hit. The match starts at 10:00 am and the range is open at daybreak. The shoot is normally over at 4:00 pm and the range remains open until dark. We shoot our brains out, with gobs of time to try different guns, different loads under different light and wind conditions.

Smokless is not allowed!

As much as I love silhouette, the Golden Spike match comes first, should there be a scheduling conflict. Dates this year are May 1 and 2, September 12 and 13.
Jim

Black only
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: I enjoy most types of Silhouette competitions but am limited to a 200m range for BPCR. The Cyber shoot I attended over Labor Day in Mexia, Texas last year was the most fun I've had at a match in a long time. Matching faces to names, making new aquaintences & friends, having the chance to shoot out to the legal distances, The Friday night fest at the Inn, shooting BPCR's with .22 inserts out to 200m, and the Bar-B-Que at the range added up to a memorable match. I will come back to the Cyber Shoot at Mexia this year to shoot, renew friendships, and swap tales. Rbump
Iron Horse

Mexia Shoot

Post by Iron Horse »

Bumper, When is the shoot at Mexia. Seeing as that is in my part of the woods. Well not much woods in that part of Texas. I run trains thru Mexia every other day and did not know they had a shoot there. Thanks.

Iron Horse
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.
bryany

Post by bryany »

Favorite matches?

I would put a premium on quality of other folks on the firing line and the atmosphere of the shoot. I appreciated a serious disciplined match but without good friends and sharing of ideas between relays it aint worth much. I have to admit, I haven't been to a BPCR match that wasn't fun but the best times I've had have been at the Ten Sleep, Wyoming match. It is the first one I attended (been going there for a number of years now) so that adds to my favoritism but the camping is the best of any range I've been at. This makes the non-shooting part of the weekend more enjoyable. Kenny's match holds the place as the best range I've ever shot long range at and the Quigley is like going to the county fair, it is a ball but don't take it too serious. It is fun to see 400+ shooters but is not set up to bring out the best in a BLACK POWDER rifle and shooter. I've shot sillouettes once in Colorado and had a ball while getting a little education. Maybe Harlan will get a range set up in Nebraska cause I sure hate driving to Denver for a shooting match. I would rather shoot a poor score with a bunch of folks I enjoy being around than a great score by myself (or with a bunch of jerks) Dinging or tumbling iron is more satisfying than punching holes in a board but I'll gladly do both as much as I can.

Bryan
Casper, WY
Iron Horse

Mexia Shoot

Post by Iron Horse »

Well Bumper I guess if I would open these 58 year old eyes a bit :shock: I could plainly see you said Labor Day!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you have any contact people for the next one coming up? Thanks.

Iron Horse
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Jerry Williams

Best BPRC Match

Post by Jerry Williams »

For me the ultimate challenge is the buffalo matches. 25 shots at buffalo shouttes at unmarked yardages (20-25 animals per herd) NO RANGEFINDERS. and time events (sometimes limited to eight minutes) things can heat up and go south in a hurry. While this stuff is frustrating it is great fun when it is working. This game frequently is visited by Murphy's Law. Check it out in NCOWS "Shootist" magazine. Most events are in central Iowa. Not for the faint of heart or guys who blow tube eight times between shots. THIS STUFF WILL DRIVE YOU NUTS!!!!! (ya, it is a short trip).
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Since the Cypher shoot at Maxia has been mentioned and talked about again, I would like to add a little too.

This shoot at Mexia was a spontanous type of thing. Over on the old shooters.com board there was a pissing match going on for quite awhile about which was a better silhouette caliber. One group of guys ( The Majority) thought that the 45's whre the best all around caliber, but there was this contenjent that thought the 38 and SMALLER calibers where just as good and maybe better. The arguement went on for months and got a little bitter at times. The two main players in this arguement where Dan Theadore and "Rdnck". Well this is another one of those arguements that is never going to really get settled. Theadore is in CA and rdnck at that time was in LA and trying to get moved to East Texas. Severeal of the shooters involved in this arguement where Texas shooters and they decided to get to together at one of the Bi-Monthly Mexia Silhouette matches and have it out, to just decide which was really better "Big Bore" 40 caliber and bigger--- or "Small Bore 38 caliber and smaller. I must say that I had egged all of these guys on, but I was surprised when they decided to actually have this challange match.

So I call up Dan Theadore and tell him since he was the major proponenet of the "Mesquito Maulers" that he should attend this shoot. I was a believer in the 45's so I thought i would go as well. So Theadore and myself load up my camper and new Dodge Ram and off we head for Texas for a rifle shooting match. It's only 2400 miles one way what the hell. And trust me guys after spending 3 days in the truck with Dan Theadore I knew all there was to know about those damn small bores, I knew Bullet Coeffeciant's and trajectory tables, point of impact theory, and about a thousand other things, I got me an education riding in that truck with Mr Theadore. And the one thing I really learned was I hated those damn small bores, and there was no damn way that one was going to win that match.

When the word got out that Dan and myself where driving 2400 miles interest really picked up. Now you must understand that the Mexia Silhouette range is in a working cow ranch and in the middle of "No Where" they usually have about 10 or 12 shooters at there matches. Well at this shoot which by know was being called "The Mexia Madness Big Bore Small Bore Challange Match" there where around 30 shooters and they came from 5 states to shoot in this match. We had a hell of a good time. Theadore and "rdnck" buried the hatchet just long enough to get the match shot and then they went right back to hating each other. But it was a cool shoot, I personally made some new friends and did get to put some faces to names. Oh and by the way i was right a "Small Bore Mesquito Mauler" did not win that match, I did with a 45-70.

I believe that this shoot and the reason behind it was in the truest tradition of target shooting. A challange was made and accepted fellers came from near and far to just see what was the best on that day. It just may not get any better than that.

Gunny
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

bryany

We have an excellent range in Nebraska. The Hoffland Randge 10 miles east of Alliance Nebraska in the panhandle. We shoot long range steel, buffalo match steel, mid and long range paper.

Check out the matches on the Announcement page on this forum.

Anyone out there that has shot at Alliance, please chime in and let the fellow shooters know how nice the range is. The firing line is under shade so we don't bake in the hot dry sandhills. Also have millitary and cowboy matchs and some big 50 bmg matches.

May 1 - 2 will be the Midwest Championship Shoot. Jim Bourn runs a fantastic match you don't want to miss.

If you have shot at Quigley and Kennys range, you really should shoot Alliance.

Harlan