40X2.1"Shiloh

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rob A.

40X2.1"Shiloh

Post by Rob A. »

Hello everyone.
Have finally gotten the 40X2.1 home the other day, started to work on the brass today. Anealled, form and full length sizeand trim cases to spech. I have sent for cerrosafe from brownells to cast chamber . I am finding it hard to get any information on this caliber. I would like to know what overall length of cartridge should be. The measurement which I have came from the SPG reloading book and it for what they call the 40/70 government. I think that will be a starting point. I plan to slug the barrel to get the exact dimensions for a custom mould. I was told Steve Brooks moulds are very good and that if I sent a cast of the chamber and give barrel dimensions he would build a mould. Does anybody have any information on this particular caliber, what they have used that works, bullet weight and lengths that may work or anything that may give me something to get started. Also if anybody has mould used that they would sell that may work,Kirk said this caliber is quite a challenge and a lot of pople have to rebarrel,I will do some experimenting first.

Thanks

P.S. to damn cold up here to shoot this past week anyway lows to minus 35-40 F
Omak Cowboy

Cold

Post by Omak Cowboy »

P.S. to damn cold up here to shoot this past week anyway lows to minus 35-40 F

While doing family reserch I reciently learned that my grandfather likely left Bermidji, MN for Salmon Arm, BC because it was warmer that far north in Canada. Burrrrrrrr!
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Michael Rix

Post by Michael Rix »

Do you at least know what the case it is based on? Like the Krag case maybe? Ballard everlasting?
The 40-60 Maynard is 2.2 on the Krag case, or rather the 30 Gov. Krag case came from one of the former.

Michael Rix
"Vegetarian" Old Indian word meaning lousy hunter.
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

If you want my recollections from articles read some time ago...

The .40x2.1 was an early effort to provide a .40 cal BPCR on common .45-70 brass. It is the .40 SBN shortened from 2.25" to 2.10".

The fun part is that there are two versions:
One has the neck of the .40 SBN and .15" shorter body;
the other has the body of the .40 SBN and .15" shorter neck. Measurements of a chamber cast will show which you have.

There is no standard OAL. It depends on what bullet you use, how your barrel is chambered, and whether it shoots best with much, little, or no "jump" to the rifling.

You need to check and report the rifling twist to pick a bullet, there is a lot of experience here on how long and heavy a bullet will be stabilized by a given twist rate.

The .40-65 has pretty well taken over as the easy way to a .40 BPCR.
Rob A.

40X2.1 reply

Post by Rob A. »

>What I am told is the case in question is based on the 45/70 trimed to 2.1" in length and necked to 40 caliber. That is what have done and the cases chamber okay.Won't know more until I have mould done on cchamber. Thanks for the peplies from everybody.