Can't See

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Harlan Sage

Can't See

Post by Harlan Sage »

Last year at Raton Nationals I shot my first silhouette match. I started at with the pigs, hit 13 and 10 straight. My head swelled and thought "what is so hard about this"? Well, I found out real soon when I got to the turkey line, Can't see shhh the target. The target turned into a gray fuzz ball and couldn't tell if I had the rail or head in the sight picture, and sometimes it would just disappear.

I'm looking for some things you guys my do to improve sight picture and vocusing the eye without going to a scope.

Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
MLV

Post by MLV »

Harlan: The same thing happened to me in my 2nd day at Raton last year. I hit all 15 pigs and was off to a good start, then the turkeys and rams just turned to fuzz in the sight. I attributed it to glare and my not wearing sun glasses when not actually shooting. Whatever the reason, it was disconcerting and my score went right into the toilet. But; there's always next year.
Sean Thornton

Post by Sean Thornton »

I guess I am in there with the best of them as I had the same problem. I started with pigs the second day at Raton this past year and got 14 of them with a 10 in a row. Got to turkeys and rams and had trouble seeing them. It was my first time at Raton and had a great time.
"An experimental weapon with experimental ammunition, Let's experiment."
Sean Thornton(From the Old Country)
Halfcock

Post by Halfcock »

Harlan: Several years ago when I started wearing bifocals, I couldn't even see the front sight. After some contortions, I found that I could see, sort of, if I looked out of the center of the lens. So I went to my optician and he made a pair of single focus lens (distance) with the optical center of the lens near the top of the lenses and near my nose. Those helped a great deal and going to an aperture (tang) sight helped a lot more. Using the aperture sight is kind of like using a large f-number in a camera lens in that it reduces the effective size of the lens in your eye. Not the greatest for hunting but you do have to see what you are going to shoot.

Halfcock
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Halfcock

I forgot to mention that when I returned from Raton my eye doc put me into bifoculs. It took me 2 months to stop hating them completely. He told me to bring my rifle in and will fit me with some shooting glasses just for the position I will be shooting in. I haven't done it yet but will soon.

Has anyone tried covering the opposite lens in order to keep the non-shooting eye open, if so does it work for you.

How about bigger sight eye cups...do they help?

Harlan

AL Rittenhouse

Post by AL Rittenhouse »

Some guys come up with the darnest excuse's when they teach there wife how to shoot, all of a sudden they come up with this can't see theory. You should be ashamed of yourself Harlan. Just let Wendy win fair and square. Al
It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Al

I don't stand a chance...the wife beat'n me up on the range and you on the forum.

I just sent you an email while you were beating me up.
There is now a printable version for the Sagebrush BPCR Match flier on the website. www.sagebrushproducts.com

Let me know what you think of the shoot format, I think you'll like it.

Harlan

powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I was having trouble seeing anything out of my sights no matter where I put the hadley eyecup and no matter what insert I used I found on here a gentleman by the name of B.Jones who makes a diopter that fits in the reat sight . I finally got it into a soule sight and can now see real good. I don't have to guess where the target is anymore , it would just grey out in the front sight . my eyes are real bad and I was having trouble seeing a 4 in bull at 100 yd I can see a 4 in bull at 250 clear enough to sight in on it now the site is www,bjonessights.com is if you are interested.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

Very interesting, but are sight diopter lenses legal in NRA BPCR?
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Harlan,You and Wendy shoot and spot for each other,right? And she still beats you on a regular basis? It doesn't have to be like that! Just ask Coydog! Monkeyboy.
Bob Eaton

Can't See

Post by Bob Eaton »

Hate to mention this guys, but the first time I attended a Silhouette match all I could see were grey blurs that should have resolved to chicks, pigs turks and rams. I went to the eye doctor to have my eyes tested. He told me that my correction was the best he could do, and that, if it was important to me, I should think about cataract surgery.

I thought about it and had it done (both eyes, about three months apart.) With my "new eyes" I can see the targets much better. Still can't hit 'em worth a darn, but at least I can see them. :wink:
Bob Eaton

Curiosity didn't kill the cat: It was lack of data. RAH
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Monkeyboy,

Trust me, I do take credit for spotting and coaching.

Harlan

AL Rittenhouse

Post by AL Rittenhouse »

Atta boy Mikey :lol: I knew someone else would come out of the wood work and tell the truth. Hey Mike are you going to the Mid and to Harlan's shoot? I will be there for both. Also was wondering if Chuck is going to make it ? Al
It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground
rdnck

Bob Jones diopter

Post by rdnck »

Jim Watson's question raises the question of the legality of the optical enhancement device that Bob Jones sells. This is NOT LEGAL for NRA Silhouette, Mid Range, or Long Range competition. Refer to rule 3.4 of the Silhouette Rules, and rule 3.7 of the Long Range rules.

Optical enhancements other than prescription eyeglasses are not allowed in NRA BPCR competition. The scope class is the only legal remedy for those who wish to play by the NRA rules and need optical enhancement.

I understand the dilemma, believe me. I just got back from the optometrist yesterday, and the astigmatism in my shooting eye is worse. There is a scope in my future, I just don't know when. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Ok now we just about have the eye glasses settled,now what can we do with that big black tatpole floating right in the middle of the aperture ????.

Kurt