My New Waage Melting Pot Is A Dud !

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Nick B

My New Waage Melting Pot Is A Dud !

Post by Nick B »

Went to try out my new Waage pot for the first time today. Well all it will do is 650 degrees! :( Yes my thermometer is fine, been using it for 12 years.
Anybody else have my bad luck ? Does anybody out there make a quality pot? I don't care what the price is as long as it is well made. Nick
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

NIck. The Waage pot will work fine .. I just finished casting 150 bullets at 850 degrees. There is a set screw inside of the stem that holds the temperature selection knob on. Simply pull the knob off, and with a very small bladed screw driver, turn the set screw counterclockwise until the temp increases. This is a standard practice on all of the Waages apparently. If you do a search on the Shiloh Forum for Waage the topic will come up. It's no big deal. It's my first pot .. but it appears sturdy and others with a lot of experience say it is one of the better ones available.
Good luck.
Nick B

Post by Nick B »

Hey Rickd: I'll give that a try. I just finished casting 75 keepers out of my old RCBS pot. Had to stop, game coming on. Thanks Again, Nick
Nick B

Post by Nick B »

Update: The set screw trick worked like a charm. I now have 800+ degrees. Now the 'ol RCBS pot goes back to storage.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Don't worry Nick, the rest of us had the same trouble. I set my thermostat knob on "8" and then pulled it off and adjusted the stem screw with a pot of lead until it got to exactely 800 degrees. Now I just set it to a little under the "8" and it does great. One thing you will find out is the pot will keep the lead within 5 or so degrees of where you set it, mine does anyway. I learned this trick from Lee Stone and others on this forum, great place to learn good stuff.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

my new waage finally got unpacked and set and I do believe that this casting session was the best that I have ever had as far as consistancy 58% within .7 gn and 78% within 1.2 gn I am very happy with my new pot...... the gas pot just got moved to mixing alloy.........Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Dave Shaw

My new Waage melting pot is a dud!

Post by Dave Shaw »

Hi :lol:

Following the good reports on the Waage pot, I ordered two (one for me & one for a fellow club member) the order was placed in early December & the pots arrived with me in England first week of Feb.
Had to tweek the set screw to get the temp up- thanks for those who posted this tip otherwise I would have thought I'd bought a dud too. & buy a 110volt transformer - we are 210volt. But proberbly the best casting I've ever done. :D
107CH

Post by 107CH »

Wheres the best place to order one of these pots? I am using a gas plumbers furnace and it is a pain!!
Dennis Holmbeck
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

go to www.waage.com and get their 800 number and give em a call. they dont list their 800 # on the invoice it was 131.81 delivered to the door ask for a K4757 and you will get a 25# pot
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Dave Shaw

Post by Dave Shaw »

Hi Guy's :D

Forgot to say, for me this is a 20lbs pot. Our pounds are a "bit" bigger than yours. I was starting to worry when the pot was filling up and I still had lead/tin to put in.
Getting very few rejects, weighing to +/- 5 grains, Lyman postel coiming out at 530 grains, 30 - 1 mix. Will be testing them for the first time on Sunday at 200yds.
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

I have been reading all this for some time now and finally broke down and ordered one. Received it today.

One thing I noticed was that the top edge does not get as hot as my prior melter did. I could lay my mould on the top edge of the old melter and by the time the lead was ready so was the mould. With the Waage, the mould does not seem to warm up as fast.

What are some of you doing?

One other thing. I put in a batch of lead today (20/1) It hit almost 900 deg without an adjustment. Perhaps they have fixed the issue reciently.

Thanks,
David
horsefly

Post by horsefly »

Good Morning, Iven;

What do the rest of us do to heat moulds? Here's what one of the rest of us does:

I put a rubber band around the mould handles to keep the blocks tightly closed and then when the melt is up to temperature, I submerge just the bottom quarter inch of the blocks in lead for about a minute. When I take it out, I wipe the bottom of with my glove or a piece of cloth to clean it and then go to work. If the mould is hot enough, lead doesn't stick to it.

No more wrinkled bullets.

Y'all be good.

horsefly
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I have found the heating shelf welded on the top edge to heat up my moulds to working temperature and keep them there quite efficiently. I am a bit puzzeled about the statement that yours wont.
Lee Stone
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Lee-

Mine does not have a heating shelf. An extra?

I did forget to mention....I think I am really going to like this pot!

Thanks,
David
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

horsefly-

I used to do that will all my lee moulds.

I thought about doing that, but somewhere in the back of my mind I kept thinking that I had read somewhere that you could not do that with steel moulds due to warping. I've got a lot old junk there in the back of my mind...probably need to clean it out sometime....is that correct?

The mould is a Hoch nose pour...would that create any special problems?

Thanks for the response-
David