What do you carry your rifle in?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I beg for y'all's patience, but one more post.

I just got off the phone with Rich Bachman and asked him about a sharps case to accommodate a scope. He said he could possibly do that, but what was actually done back in the old days was the scope was detached from the rifle and put in it's own case that was strapped to the rifle case. And he can do that.

Rick has a fantastic collection of very high grade gun leather (that he uses for models to make his gun leather) original moulds, reloading tools, guns, gun cases, Indian artifacts and on and on. He could open an old west museum if he felt like putting up with the aggravation. Which I am very sure he does not feel like doing. So, instead, Rick is building a new web site that will not only show case his leather products (and the Sharps rifle case will be shown in the new site/catalogue) but will also have a museum section that will, on a rotating basis, show colour pictures of items from his huge collection.

Anyone needing gun leather of any kind would do themselves well to contact Rick.
Lee Stone
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

For going to local shoots the Doskocil case that Shiloh shipped my rifle in works great! If I was going to fly with it I would invest in one of those metal cases advertised in Cabelas. - Mike
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Thanks for the links.

Which Wagon Box did you buy?

Oak or Walnut?

Good Buy?

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

I have lugged by rifles around in soft cases, Doskosil cases, and single and double cases made of plastic and alluminum reinforced lips and corners for years. I have finally made the decision to buy the best quality case that I can find. So far I have narrowed it down to the three gun al. case from Buffalo arms and am still researching a Halliburton case. Maybe they are the same case, I don't know.

I do know that I don't want a leather case no matter what the esthetics are. Leather, holds and transmits moisture, and if you will notice it corrodes brass fittings as well. They are pretty, but unless fiber lined, are not more protection than a cardboard box. :( You certainly cannot ship a rifle in one, or travel on an airplane.

I will go with the best hard case I can find. Randy
Randy Ruwe
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

Your right about storing a gun in a leather case. Heck, I wouldnt recomend storing a gun in any carry case for that matter, leather, alluminum or otherwise.Storage is for gun cabinets and safes.Ive had my hunting rifle start to rust after a hunt, then left in my alluminum case for a few days.Others may have better luck, not me brother. after that, its short term in the carry case, too and from the shooting episode.A leather case would do just fine for that. Just whatever your taste.
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
hepboy

Post by hepboy »

I have been using a case that I bought from the old Cape Outfitters. It is called "Canvas and Leather French Fitted Rifle Case" The case is green canvas covered with the corners and the 2 straps that go around the case made of leather. The interior is green wool lined, with a strap to hold the rifle secure. There is an accessory compartment I use for extra sight inserts and stuff. It has a brass key lock that probably is not the best security. I don't know how good this case would be for commercial transit, but it is handy for taking to the range, and it looks good. It is not so heavy as some wooden shooting boxes I have seen advertised, but is better protection than a soft case.

The new owner calls itself Jeff's Outfitters.

http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/

View the catalog. Then go to page 4. It does take time for Adobe to load.

The price is 149.95

It is available for Sharps, Trapdoor carbine, Winchester 1873, and Remington Rolling Block. My 34" bbl. Shiloh fits just fine.

Keith
It is better to have a gun and not need it---
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Hepboy:

Great site. I definitely want one for my Fancy Sharps. I've got a couple Beratta 687 EELL's that only came with a plastic gun case. These would work perfectly.

I was wondering where else I could get these other than the Beratta Gallery, which are really expensive.

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

I carry my rifle around in the seat of my pickup; buttplate on the floor and barrel up. I have 5 rounds of ammo in my coat or coverall pockets, and a plastic ammo box with 50 more under the seat. Cross-sticks are in the pickup bed; short ones for prone shooting and tall ones for sitting. You just never know when a potential target that desperately needs to be shot at will present itself.
kevin harris

cases

Post by kevin harris »

ironramrod,

Interesting that you carry muzzle up in your vehicle instead of the opposite. This deer season my brother in law did the same and it made me nervous, even though I knew that the rifle was empty. Is it more safe to have muzzle up than down or is it personal preferance since ND and WY do not have regulations on firearmes being in cases or being locked by some device while in transport (except of course through national parks) :?: :?:
"No triumph of peace is quite so great as the supreme triumphs of war." T. Roosevelt

W.T.S.S.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Texas Shooter, check your Private Messages.
Lee Stone
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Kevin H.

I never carry a firearm in my pickup with a round in the chamber for any reason whatsoever. Thus, the rifle or shotgun in my pickup is completely safe all the time, and doesn't make any difference if the barrel is up or down; at least to me.

That said, my main reason for carrying guns in this fashion is to eliminate any chance of damaging the muzzle by being on the floor. Most field vehicles seem to have small rocks and other debris on the floor that could potentially damage the muzzle; worse yet is to unknowingly have something off the floor stuck in the muzzle of your firearm. The secondary reason is that it is easier to get the firearm out of the vehicle quickly with the barrel up rather than barrel down. I don't know about other areas, but around here road hunting is an art form; especially at 30 deg. below zero like it is now.

However, I would certainly recommend considerable discretion on this subject. Carrying firearms barrel up in the front seat of vehicles with back seats (e.g. cars and SUV types) is probably undesirable, because occupants in the rear seat will understandably not appreciate looking down muzzles of firearms; even unloaded.

Regards
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Lee:

Thanks for the PM. One is also in your box.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

To all:

If I'm looking for something that needs to be shot, I carry the rifle across me lap with the muzzle out the window. Very fast, and it doesn't scare the occupants.

It also has a positive effect on potential poachers.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
kevin harris

targets

Post by kevin harris »

Sad fact is that in the states of ND and WY it is unlawful to shoot out of the vehicles window unless you have a dissability lisc. Ya I know (only if you get caught) but lets weigh the odds; loss of vehicle, lawyers, $1500-$2500 rifle, loss of hunting privleges, possible felony charges,etc,etc,etc. all for what, da tirty point buck, da black cat withe the white bars, ror the neighbors dog that craps in your rose garden. :?: :?:

Just my thoughts.
"No triumph of peace is quite so great as the supreme triumphs of war." T. Roosevelt

W.T.S.S.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

This talk of road hunting reminds me of a now -deceased shooter & his experience. Seems as if my late friend was road hunting with a Marlin .45-70, loaded w/ BP, & the 500 grain Lyman gov’t. style bullet. While slowly driving along an old logging road south of Eureka CA, a nice fat buck meandered across the road. Slowly stopping, he picked up the rifle, sighted it in on the buck, & fired. A complete miss, but he did kill the passenger's side window as he forgot to roll it down. Shot did a number on his hearing, the headliner, sun visor, & of course the window….