What do you carry your rifle in?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Texas Shooter

What do you carry your rifle in?

Post by Texas Shooter »

Hello:

For those of you who try to stay consistantly with "Period" powders, bullets, cartridges and so on, do you also have/use period correct cases for your Shiloh rifles?

I've seen the leather cases advertised by Axtel that appear to be consistant with the cases in the Sellers book. Are they any good or practical?

Does anyone use a leather covered wooden case similar to those made for the high end shotguns and double rifles?

Where can someone get these that will fit correctly?

Thanks ahead of time,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

No.
I'm not playing a part, I'm going shooting. Plastic and aluminum for me.
I'll put the price of fancy cases into bullet molds and sights that make a difference in the shooting.
dozer

Post by dozer »

I want my rifle in the best, most protective case available. I went with the heaviest aluminum case I could get. I didn't buy a fine rifle to have it banged up in transit. An honest ding hunting or target shooting doesn't bother me in the least, but dinged in a case?

Looks? I can look good after it's out of the case :wink:
Doz
kevin harris

rifle cases

Post by kevin harris »

My feelings exactly!! :) :)
"No triumph of peace is quite so great as the supreme triumphs of war." T. Roosevelt

W.T.S.S.
Smokin

Rifle carrier

Post by Smokin »

Texas Shooter,

Mostly I carry them in my truck :D, Smokin
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Any rifle that I have is carried the same way, in the rack in my truck or in my right hand. Pretty is nice but utility is tops.
Soft cordura case other times.
trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Tejas Raz

Post by Tejas Raz »

TS, I'd also rather carry them in hard or padded soft cases to and fro. Then when you get to the event, slide it in a nice elk skin with some fringe to dress it up with. Best of both worlds eh?
Scott Rasmussen
aka: Tejas Raz - Semper Fi!
http://community.webshots.com/user/tejas_raz
.45-70 Gov't, .40-60 Maynard & Patched Round Ball
NRA Life
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Well, since I don't have a pickin-up truck to hang em in the back window, I had to go a different route. So I have a couple of the oak wagon boxes from Cal-Graf, a hard leather moulded case copied from an old original Sharps case that Mike Danielle of 12 Mile Ranch made for me, and a soft leather case. I like the hard leather moulded case for carrying to and from the range but the wagon boxes are great for long trips in the van. For me, these cases just add to the fun of owning Sharps rifles.
Lee Stone
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Thanks to all:

Lee do you have web addresses for those products, that you would recommend?

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal
Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Dan

Post by Dan »

Hey Texas Shooter . . .

I have the same hard leather case as Lee's from 12 Mile Ranch. It is a work of art and very practical. It will satisfy your need to have something "authentic' yet practical to protect your investment. Unfortunately, Mike is no longer is the leather business.

However, the good news is I spotted a similar case on Buffalo Arms web site last night. So try [url]http://www.buffaloarms.com[/url]

Also Cal Graf is [url]http://www.cal-graf.com[/url]

Dan
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

Hey Lee,Is your moulded leather rifle case like the ones sold at buffalo arms? If so, how long did it take to receive it? I have been eyeballing those ,but my sharps is having an MVA scope mounted so I hope they can allow for that. http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3124.html
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Mike Danielle is making the moulded leather cases for BA. And their price is the same as Mike's. I got the one with the pigskin lining. Only a tad more than the unlined case. Their price has increase just a bit since the last time I looked. But it is a work of art case. Here is the URL for that BA page:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,144.html

And I really like the Cal-Graf wagon boxes. They are incredibly sturdy (a tad on the heavy side to, but what should I expect, right?). Here is their site:

http://www.cal-graf.com/

Just scroll down the front page and you will see the wagon boxes listed with a click on label.
Lee Stone
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

The URL Kamotz listed is better than the one I listed. His is the page you get when you click for details on the page I listed.

I am not sure if the case would accommodate a scope or not. I kind of don't think so, but I'll bet if you talked to one of the guys at BA they could possibly arrange for Mike to make a case that would.
Lee Stone
Dan

Post by Dan »

Sorry guys my links didn't work and also sorry for the incorrect info about Mike and his leather cases.

The last time I heard Mike was or had sold his ranch, started flying full time again and wasn't going to make leather goods anymore.

When I saw those cases on Buffalo Arms last night I was wondering where they came from. It is good news he is still making the cases. They are first class!

Dan
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Clarification;

The last time I talked with Mike, he told me he was no longer taking orders directly and that all his work was being sold by BA. However, he would still make things for his old customers. I had him making me a couple great scabbards for a couple of Bowie knives I had acquired. That was a few months ago and I have not talked to Mike recently. It is possible he has passed his moulds to someone else who is making the moulded cases for BA. IF that is so, I just hope they keep up Mikes beautiful standards. But the last I actually knew, Mike was still making the cases for BA. He just was no longer selling them directly.

By the way, Rick Bachman, owner of Old West Reproductions, recently told me he is now also making a copy of an authentic leather Sharps case, however a different style. I have a lot of Rick's leather and he is also a great leather artist. I don't believe he has the case pictured on his web site, but if you were to call I am sure he would discuss it with you. Here is Rick's web site:

http://www.oldwestreproductions.com/
Lee Stone