Offhand shooting-The Approach

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Stan Koslow

Post by Stan Koslow »

Kamotz hit on the sacred cloth that I forgot. There is live fire and there is dry fire. You can learn to establish your time and strength much easiar with dry fire. With BPC, prime your cases and shoot them (by your self) with a small, well lit spot on the wall. Cheap practice. No 30 cal modern with a muzzle break next to you to rattle your brain. Equal amounts of dry to live fire will hurry the procces. Allows you to study the bbl movement , trigger feel and lock tremor and most important, follow through.
The "art" of offhand shooting is a deteriorating sport. The less you do it, the more you deteriorate. Don't we know it! Thanks Kamotz.
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Good thread.

One (or several) of the things I've done is to set up a large piece of cardboard at 225 yds. Draw in an 8" black circle and shoot off hand at the black. I soon found that the "group" hit the target about 8" left and 20" low. The group size was a shotgun pattern about 18" and fairly round. I shot several of these groups to confirm just where I was hitting. Next I moved the sights to allow for the low left hits. I started getting some shots in the black. After a lot of practice (live and dry) I noticed the shots were starting to come up. Also the groups were shrinking in overall size. Started moving the sights back to compensate for what I don't know, guess the practice is paying off. I can fairly reliably keep 5-7 shots in the black now......out of 20 rounds. I did keep track of the number of live rounds I have been firing and am right at 500. I hope that when I get up around 2,000 to 3,000 shots things will have improved. About 75% of my shooting now is devoted to off hand.
Many of the ideas put forth here work! One of the most important things was touched on briefly. Do not eat before shooting chickens. In fact, go to the range hungry and don't eat until the match is over. Food will taste much better besides. I learned this trick when in college.....don't eat before tests! And party hard later.

TL
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

Timberlake, your idea of going to the range hungry is starting to make good sense. Geuss if a fella is hungry enough, even fried steel chicken might sound good. You might want to fry that freshly shot chicken with extra beading though. :D
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!