Sharps vs Hepburns

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Omak Cowboy

Sharps vs Hepburns

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Lat night on I think it was the History Channel, there was a story about the numerous attemtps to kill Lincoln. One such account had Lincoln on a berm on a battlefield with the Confederate soliders some 800 yds distant. One of Lincolns soldiers was wounded in the leg. Lincoln at the time aparently put it down to a stray bullet. The program had a different view and said it was due to a "sharpshooter" who fired on the President.

So, not knowing much of either the Civil War era, I assume an 1863 Sharps? and the "Hepburn" which was said to have been used...which would in the readers opinon would have been the more likely rifle and which would have been the more accurate of the two?

Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Troll

Post by Troll »

Confederate sharpshooters mainly used british made Whitworth rifles. With their unique rifling they were considered accurate out past 800 yards and maybe abit farther.

There were very few confederate sharps. Not enough to really be used to much effect.
-Finese is choosing the right size hammer
MLV

Post by MLV »

The Remington #3 (Hepburn) didn't come out until about 1880.
BIG50

Post by BIG50 »

I have a book called Echoes of Glory that pictorals many of t he weopons equipment etc... used during the Civil War by the Confederacy. ON pages 50 & 51 labeled 'The Sharpshooters pride' is a picture and caption on a 'Leonard Target Rifle'that was found at Gettysburg. It was handcrafted by George O. Leonard and weighed 36 lbs., had a telescopic sight and was accurate to 1000 yards according to the book. Neat looking gun!!! I wish I had one!!!! My point is I suspect there were heavy bench style, custom made rifles used for sniping by some of the best of the best in the sniper profession. Just a thought.

Anyone out there know of any reputable custom makers that make such percusion guns???

BIG50
Omak Cowboy

opps?

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Ya know, Mike, I think my middle aged brain, or maybe it was my middle aged ears mislead me. I thought they said it was a Hepburn, but now that I think on it I thing they said Whitworth. Now I don't know the difference as I am educatin myself on 19th century weapons.

I do recall the program makeing a point of the bullet, a v3ry long projectile being HEXAGONAL. Wierd!! And htey actually got that tginm to shoot??

Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Morning Omak,

The whitworth and its hex bullet were the brain child of Sr J. Whitworth, an englishman.

This LR Muzzle loader is today still used in ML Long Range competitions. The modern reproductions made by Parker Hale of England are among the most popular. Euro Arms is now making this rifle on the Parker Hale Tooling. The Whit is a neat rifle and one that I someday would like to play with. I may go with the volunteer model instead,>no hex bore<, Folks like Ron Snover say its a touch easier to make shoot.

The Whit and the rigby and the Volunteer Muzzle loaders where the peak of ML rifles in my opinion, they are very accurate.

Perhaps David will chime in on this he has the LRML, Long range Muzzle loading E-list and has alot of neat info on these VERY COOL Rifles.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Omak Cowboy

kennny

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Kenny, THANKS>. Another avenue for research. Sounds like fun. I am only interested in accurate weapons and the Whitworth sounds like one to play with..someday when I have moe time.Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE: