The end of an Era?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kenny Wasserburger

The end of an Era?

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

The Announcement, at the BPTR Nationals this year, of 2015 being the last year at Raton for Nationals and that 2016 Nationals will be at Camp Perry Ohio, came as quite a shock. The past repeats it's self, NRA quit holding the matches for competitors due to a perceived lack of shooters in the 1880's. The NRA has always told us what they are going to do, letters to the BP committee where wasted, D. Willing had, along with G Connors, decided their course of action and they will not change it. The BPTR Nationals after 2015 will be gone, July at Camp Perry is brutal, heat index's are in the insane level you will not be able shoot and wipe, you can not drive too the pits, or individual yard lines, you must use A cart of some sort to haul all your gear, only hope they, have thought of and will provide transport to the pits, insane when you consider the age group of Creedmoor shooters, and I have not touched the subject of Mid-range matches. A Side note you must also leave all your gear at the firing line while your in the pits. The smart thing to do would be to start at the longest target and move forward, doubtful that they have thought of that but maybe?

The history of the BPTR nationals, 1996 we had test run at 800 yards, a full match in 1997 with 54 shooters, a high attendance in 1999 of 97 for Creedmoor, in 1998 we had 65 shooters, in 2000 we went to 2 days for Creedmoor and 74 shooters, It always has varied, it is a hard game, if it was easy we would call it golf. 40 odd shooters per Nationals event is not all that bad as it is made out to be, the Whittington Center charges $15 A Day per Shooter period, target costs are needed to be added to the tally also. So these are costs that must be considered, per event, Along with consideration of housing costs for the match personal.

A loosely formed BPTR Federation needs to be formed, and hold our own BPTR National event in Sept 2016 at Raton, it can be done, we have two very skilled experienced match Directors that could do this, if they would be willing to do so, neither are spring chickens if they were to decline who could blame them.

That leaves us with still forming a federation, and making Phoenix our BPTR Creedmoor Nationals for 2016, and Riverbend our BPTR Mid-Range Nationals, use the two existing Matches And make them Our (the BPTR shooters) own National Events. This option is very doable and the matches are already in place and established.

For my own part, in 2016 for fall in September, if no match is held at Raton, I will host a 4 day event of traditional steel Creedmoor mid and long range Matches at the Wasserburger Ranch.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Lumpy Grits

Re: The end of an Era?

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Kenny-Your offer to host this event is not only very kind, but also very generous of you :!:
I'll bet with that NRA announcement, Raton sign-ups will be in the crapper for sure in 2015. :?

Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: ...July at Camp Perry is brutal,...
If you miss, I would recommend you miss low, so you have an idea of what correction to make. :lol: :lol: ...................Jim

....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Kennyburger, had you attended the Raton Nationals in 2014 it is likely you would have a much different perspective. Not attending was a choice that you made. :? :? :? :?

I sense that you are very disappointed in the NRA. You are not alone. Give this some time and read the next issue of Black Powder Cartridge News before you jump off of the cliff. :shock: :shock: :shock:

AND, after reading that edition please give me a call "before" you start tapping on your keyboard. 8)

It is always darkest just before dawn. :wink:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: For my own part, in 2016 for fall in September, if no match is held at Raton, I will host a 4 day event of traditional steel Creedmoor mid and long range Matches at the Wasserburger Ranch.
Sounds like fun! I will sure come help put it on if you need it.
take care, Cody
Kenny Wasserburger

Cody,

Will need help for sure, and would love to have you guys up to our ranch.

KW
The Lunger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Kenny Wasserburger

Deuce,
Past Tuesday connors informed the 22 BPCR that they could have the 22 nats on July 3-4 in effect, killing that match at Raton. Word from members of the BP meeting in Fairfax were less then good, vist with them.

KW

SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote:Past Tuesday connors informed the 22 BPCR that they could have the 22 nats on July 3-4 in effect, killing that match at Raton.
KW
Why do you think that the July 3-4 dates kill the .22BPCR Nat'l matches?
Glenn
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

What I can't figure out is who the Hell is Connors to be telling a non NRA organization what dates they can have a match at the Whittington Center? According to him he's just at the mercy of what ever crumbs for dates the Whittington tells him he can have matches on... :evil:
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Don, I think you are on to something.... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

It's a head scratcher for dang sure. :?
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

:evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Perhaps we are seeing the fundamental transformation of American Competitive Shooting, which certainly could be correlated to the fundamental transformations going in other areas of American Society. Perhaps the closer one lives to Washington, D.C., the more they may be influenced to engage in such. On the map, Fairfax, Virginia, is not far from D.C.

Seems ironic that the organization that claims to hold competitive shooting in high regard is exactly the same group working to destroy it.:roll: :roll: :roll:

The question is this: is the competitor going to lay down, roll over and play dead or do what generations of patriotic Americans have done for over 200 years and fight for their second amendment rights. Remember that the oath of allegiance to America and the Constitution includes the phrase, "against all enemies, both foreign and domestic," :?:
LazyM

Post by LazyM »

I am hoping that the NRA can make it work at Raton.

Having said that, I am inclining that something makes Kenny still have his shoot regardless. It is always fun "at the ranch."
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Don't necessarily assume that the Whittington Center is the problem, as Connors and others may have alluded. I believe that the Whittington Center is more than willing to host a match whenever the range is available.

From what I've heard, Connors may be much more interested in hanging around his old buddies at Camp Perry than running our matches in New Mexico, thus the push to cram our matches in on his schedule and be out of there before the Camp Perry matches begin.

Clarence
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Recurring, though of questionable reliability, sources have previously reported Kennyburger is actually great fun and games at a convent gathering, several years running. To the extent of adding spice and color to Bible studies.

I don't know about anyone else, but, I have trouble visualizing that, however, I am relatively certain that I should refrain from observing it in person. :shock: :shock: :shock:

In truth I also try not to think about it. :lol: :lol: :lol: When I do, it looks something like a Friar Kenny. :?