? for 45-100 shooters

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Merritt

? for 45-100 shooters

Post by Merritt »

I'm looking for a maximum hunting load.

Have any you that are into the 2.6 tried 3f powder?

If so, what were your load combinations and your conclusions?

Thanks, Merritt
Josh A.

Post by Josh A. »

Merritt:
Just how fast do you want the 2.6 to go?

Josh
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
RMulhern

Max Load

Post by RMulhern »

Merritt

The faster it go :lol: the more wind drift :? you got!!
Merritt

Post by Merritt »

I like to know the full working limits of whatever cartridge I'm shooting. This winter I'm working over the 100. If you've messed with the 100 and 3f I like to here about it. Or if your interested I'll let you know what I come up with later on.

P.S josh, I could care less about raw velocity. There is too much salt to go along with the figures for a simple conversation. If I was interested in speed only I 'd use 3031 in quantities that would probably scare you to see them in print.

P.S. sharpsman: you need to think more about flight time and bullet mass/momentum. It's not the slow bullet that drifts the least. It's the heaviest bullet that is exposed to the wind for the least amount of time that drifts the least.
Stan Koslow

Post by Stan Koslow »

Mass x velocity = energy. Your right, energy cuts the wind. I can't tell you about fff except to say that I think it will be to harsh and hot on the base and create other issues. Have you thought about double compressing and drop your riding bands back for more powder with one or two f. I think you may be able to hit mid fourteen with the combo in a 400 + grain bullet. My two cents. Tell us what you get.
Josh A.

45-100

Post by Josh A. »

Merritt:
I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Last week I was piddling with some 1 1/2 Swiss and a 510gr Jones bullet in my 2.6" and got over 1300fps, inadvertently, with 78gr and a WLP. It shoot fine at 500m.

3F Elephant might get that high if you mash it in the case hard. 3F Goex would probably get up a little faster than 1300fps with a 500gr+ bullet. 3F Swiss would probably get into the 1400fps range.

Those would be my guesses.

Hope this helps.

Josh
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955