Sight changes

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kantishna

Sight changes

Post by kantishna »

Hello...Soon I will be going to my first silhouette match. I need sight changes (in thousands) from chickens to pigs, then from pigs to turkeys, and turkeys to rams. I have access to a 200yd. range. Rifle is .45/70 with 32" bbl. and load is Lyman 457132 over 67gr. of GOEX ctg. All I am looking for is ballpark settings. Many thanks in advance for your help. Take Care Kantishna
kantishna

Sight change add-on

Post by kantishna »

The rifle is a Shiloh #3 w/Tang sight and a 36 3/4" sight radius. Thanks again. Kantishna
kantishna

Post by kantishna »

Hello...After looking at my posts, it appears I am saying someone has already sent me the info I need. So far, no replies recieved.......any help would be greatly appreciated! Take Care.....Kantishna
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

kantisha,

Here is a rule of thumb that should get you in the ball park. You will need a good chicken setting and since you have a 200 yd sight setting you should be able to get on the chickens by coming up a min or two. Then add to your solid chicken setting 15 min for the pigs, add then to this pig setting 15 min for the turkeys, and to this turkey setting add 20 min for the rams. While these will not be exact they will be close, and you and your spotter should be able to get you on the sighter in quick order. Good luck at that Silhouette match and show um how it's done.

Gunny
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "WOW, what a ride!"
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I don't have my notebook with me right now, but I'll get the settings I use for my rifle and bullet and powder. You know of course your's will be different, but it will be a place to start.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Gunny has it down. I use a similar rule of thumb. I have found on both my Shiloh's w/ a 30" tube, and a 34" Pedersoli, shooting 70 gr 2F Goex and about a 510 gr NEI postell bullet, and with Baldwin, MVA and Kelley sights, that I adjust about 8 min of elevation for every 50 yds. That gets me close enough where I only have to adjust a couple of minutes one way or the other and then I am usually on. Works really good for hunting too. I'd also be interested in hearing what other shooters have worked out.
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]