Which Swiss Powder for 40-65

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rickd

Which Swiss Powder for 40-65

Post by Rickd »

Putting together all the gear to reload for my new Shiloh #1 in 40-65 (Just got the letter today!! Goes into production in 4 weeks). I've been reading a lot about the "new" vs "old" Swiss (less dense vs. more dense) and also various shooters using 1.5, 2.0, or 3F. What are your recommendations re the best granulation as well as how the New compares to the Old Swiss? I appreciate your input!! Thanks.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Rickd,
What velocity are you looking for? What weight bullet will you be using?
For example: If 58 grans fits into the case, and the bullet weight is 410 grains, then Swiss 1.5 will be about 1210 fps, Swiss 2f will be 1220 fps, & Swiss 3f will be about 1240 fps. Any of these is adequate for Silhouette but would be lost at ranges over 600 yards.
Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

Mike. I'll be shooting a 365 grain chicken bullet and a 420 grain Creedmore. Real curious how the 'new' Swiss is turning out. MLV is supposed to be running a test of the new powder sometime soon, using 3-4 Master Class shooters along with himself, to evaluate the performance.
From your information the difference between the three grades though consistent is not huge. I will probably order a mixed case and try each.
Thanks for the base information. Rick