Break-in proceedure for Shiloh barrels

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RD146

Break-in proceedure for Shiloh barrels

Post by RD146 »

Have a new Hartford cal. 45-90. Is there a reccomended break-in procedure for the barrel?

Regards
R. Dupraz
Cecil Milan

Post by Cecil Milan »

Shoot it!
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Rd,

What part of SD are you from?

As for break in? Shiloh barrels are button rifled and have a 3 micron Finish they really dont need a break in. As the other poster mentioned, and Kirk will tell you the same thing load it and shoot it.

These are some of the best barrels I have ever looked down, for being concentric and finish. And trust me I have looked down alot of barrels at the Shiloh factory before they were ever screwed to a rifle. I have seen a good many barrels in the past 16 years that I have shot competition be it highpower or BPCR.

There is a old tale among barrel makers that suggests that the better finish and the more concentric a barrel is, that when one looks at a blank and points at a direct light source that one see's rings in the barrel of light the more rings and the tighter they are stacked upon one another the better the barrel. One has to see it to really understand it but suffice to say the Shiloh Barrels are some of the best For seeing this that I have ever looked down.

As Kirk is gone to the shot show, I thought I would post on this subject rest assured that he will tell you to JUST SHOOT IT!

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
RD146

break-in

Post by RD146 »

Thanks for the reply;

From the land of the ''Yankton" Sioux, SE corner, 200yds from the Mo. river.

Regards
R. Dupraz