Trends in BPCR Long Range Shooting

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kenny Wasserburger

Re: Trends in BPCR Long Range Shooting

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Buffalo Arms called this morning, asking for Payment on my Dual Diameter mould.

I imagine it will be here pretty soon.

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
MAH

Post by MAH »

Kenny,

I have been reading the thread about the D.D. I am intrigued with this. Please show us lessen experimenters the way.

MAH
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Looking forward to your trials with it
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

I called BACO last week to check on my bullet mold order, was and "shocked" when the lady said it could be a 6 month wait as they have no mold blocks in stock! Going with Brooks on this one.
Kenny Wasserburger

A new trend perhaps,

I recently designed a dual diameter bullet, based on Distant Thunder’s and Arnie’s result. I believe we have a real contender for the perfect PP Bullet.

Thanks to Jim Aka DT and Arnie for their help.

Kenny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

bruce m

Post by bruce m »

well some of us who have been pushing dd bullets for a while just heard crickets when we spoke in the beginning.
when there were no crickets there were nay sayers.
this little experiment might just be what tips dd bullets into the mainstream.
baco and others now offer such bullets as std items.
kenny has demonstrated just how simple it is to get pp bullets shooting, by showing us the few right questions you have to ask.
do it right and it will work, and work well.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
semtav

Post by semtav »

bruce m wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:14 pm
baco and others now offer such bullets as std items.
kenny has demonstrated just how simple it is to get pp bullets shooting, by showing us the few right questions you have to ask.
do it right and it will work, and work well.
bruce.
Since i dont watch tv much and dont want to come here and read about Biden, i was gonna try to start an argument with you Bruce. Just cant find anything to argue with you! about!!

Combining the ease of the Groove dia load with the accuracy of a "proper" bore dia load might just turn this cartridge into a pussycat. Better stock up on components before everyone finds out.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

brian,
i am sure we could argue about something if we dug around.
the key is to do it and still remain friends.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

brian,
i am sure we could argue about something if we dug around.
the key is to do it and still remain friends.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Kenny Wasserburger

Will see first weekend of May Alliance Neb Midwest Championship 700,800,900,1000 yards with the Dual diameter Bullet then 3rd week of May BPTRA on Friday before the Midrange Nationals a 45 shot Creedmoor match 800-900-1000. I should have enough data to make a decision one way or another. Honestly I think it will do quite well. August will see the Money Match at Byers 2 days 1000 yards with no spotter, September will be the BPTRA Creedmoor Nationals and the 1000 yard Championship. 2 years ago I took Second to my old Friend Steve Baldwin in that 1000 yard championship.

It should be a very interesting season.

Kenny Wasserburger

It will be the summer of Dual Diameter or failing that, I have 600 of my .446 Money sized to .445 for Dora as a proven winner. Did quite well at Byers with it in 2016, first Master in Creedmoor, 2nd in Midrange and 3 OA Jimbo First Zack Taylor 2nd.

bruce m

Post by bruce m »

you should get a lot of data there kenny.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

top notch thread. thanks Kenny
semtav

Post by semtav »

Lots of interesting reading when you go to the start.
There has been mention on different threads that at one time patching to groove was the popular method and patching to bore was looked at with skepticism.

Is anyone still around that patched to groove for the modern creedmoor era.
Just curious as to what type of loads were being used then.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

brian,
i can remember when patching to bore was not understood.
guys were getting old rifles and thought they were incorrectly chambered.
so they rechambered them to shoot groove diameter bullets :cry:
what followed with the boom in replicas was chambers with freebore, and the claims that these were in fact paper patch chambers :!:
even early shilohs had this feature.
in actual fact properly chambered pp rifles, groove diameter throatless chambers, and groove diameter throated chambers, will all probably shoot well.
the one fact that will allow this to happen it the necessity of having a bullet that properly fits fired cases, freebore if any, and bore if any of the bullet goes there.
other than that the twist must suit the bullet length.
then you just go and work up a load rather than using someone else's advice on best load.
all the above is homework and thinking that goes with, which some seem unable to grasp the necessity of.
i think today the human race demands instant gratification, and as such tends to avoid the work and thought that rings the best out of guns and ammo, and is where a lot of the satisfaction comes from.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

"i think today the human race demands instant gratification, and as such tends to avoid the work and thought"

bruce, computers have taught us that, just hit the 'enter' key and there is your answer 100% correct providing you put in the correct data. No sweat. This became evident to me in the year Y2K (2000). I was managing a Fireplace store selling gas and wood appliances. That year we experienced a 3800% increase in wood stove sales mainly to people who didn't know how to light a match. They were approaching the operation of a wood stove with a computer mentality. If the spec sheet said it would heat 1600 sq. ft. they expected it to do it no matter what they put in it. They were trying to burn wood that was growing leaves yesterday. Warm up, what do mean it has to warm up? You mean I have to get up in the middle of the night to put more wood in? You get the idea . . . Computers have done this to our young people, us old guys know better.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."