Trends in BPCR Long Range Shooting

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mike herth

Re: Trends in BPCR Long Range Shooting

Post by mike herth »

Best of luck to the Wyoming shooters, and wishing for safe travels for everyone!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Was planning to leave this morning. Momma nature had other ideas and we're smothered in about 3 inches of frozen slushy this morning. Looks like maybe Lajunta or Raton tonite, depending on when it melts off enough to get out of here this morning. So much for avoiding the zoo from Santa Fe to ABQ :roll:
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Kenny,
It sure would be fun to be back there. It would even be more fun if we could terrorize another restaurant, like we did. LOL
I sure miss Rhoades and the good times we had.
Give em hell.............
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Hell was given. Though Jimbo and I were on our best behavior. Seems he has mellowed. :roll:

Bryan was in top form, we had a very exceptionally good run at 1000 yards. He is the world 1000 yard champion. And ended up well in the Aggs.

I again can’t express enough, the importance of a correct no wind zero at these extended ranges it is very important. Most of our corrections were based off this, it worked and it worked well.

My new PP wiping regime of 2 BACO bore wipes with 2 felts on, each soaked in Mpro-7 and a dry patch followed by a chamber swab, this was very effective. And cut down my wiping time considerably.

I toyed with Grease groove at the midrange segment, at 500 yards in relay 1 I shot a 125-1x and was in the hunt. I then tried my mono groove bullet in relay 2 but had leading. I was running a damp patch behind a single Bore wipe. Once I quit that the leading disappeared. I was reluctant to test the mono groove at 600 so stuck to the postell. In my opinion at 510 grs with 14-1 alloy the Postell it is too light for the conditions we faced in Phoenix. My mono groove is 522 grs in the same alloy. Lube used was White Lightning. I will revisit the mono groove again, with a different wiping technique.

From 800 on I stuck to my DDEPP bullet, wrapped with Seth Cole 55W. Then pushed through a Lee .457 sizer die. Thin strips of confetti were all that was found as should be, we had moments of 2 Xs back to back. The let offs or gusts were most of our misses. Yet everyone including grease groove shooters had unexpected lows and highs. The mirage often lied to us, showing more condition than there was, I blame that on the road notch and the asphalt. Flags, smoke at the firing line, and personal wind flags got a lot of use. And the mirage when it was determined to be correct.

The difficulties of a grease groove in my 25# Shiloh requires a bullet nose of .4495 to fit the tight barrel. Patched bullets at .449 slide in with ease. Bench shooting still has its own challenges, you’re higher up catch a lot more wind, than prone. Also one still has to manage the rifle as you still must fire from your shoulder, and Cross sticks. There is no rear rest, and it has been determined that it offers no advantages over prone shooting. Just more comfortable for many, no neck pain or back pains. No issues of getting up off the ground.

To speak out against it shows ignorance, it only shows one thing and nothing else, pure stupid uninformed ignorance. :shock:

This match which I shot all of it is quite possibly the best bang for the shooter’s stretched dollars to be found anywhere in the USA.

2 days of Bpcr silhouette.
1 day 22 midrange
1 day 500 yards a most challenging target
1 day 600 yards
1 day 800 yards
1 day 900 yards
2 days 1000 yards
1 day 1000 yards with no spotter rifleman, Cup Class.

That’s 10 days kiddies, something to consider.

I strongly suggest you try to attend next year.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Excellent write-up, thanks Kenny!
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Nice write up Kenny. Is there a chance anyone will post the score sheets for the entire ten days?

Thanks
Dan
Kenny Wasserburger

If one takes a look at the daily scores, that Steve Farringer so kindly posted in the match section of the forum.

My own 500 and 600 scores are worth discussing, as I went into the dark side and shot Grease Groove bullets. :shock:

500 yards first relay I shot my NEI Ideal Postell bullet and posted a respectable 125. Relay two I substituted my old NASA mono-Groove bullet instead. The Postell at 14-1 alloy weighs 510 grains, the Mono-groove 522 grs same alloy. I tried a BACO felt wiper with 2 felts with a damp patch following for fouling control. My second relay scores suffered and significant leading was found afterwards. Both bullets were lubsized and white lighting lube was used. The NEI bullet casts at .460 and I size it to fit at .458 otherwise it’s too tight in my Shiloh chamber with Norma brass. All bullets are slip fitted with front driving band about .020 into the lands. The length variation between the two bullets is handled with the use of a felt sagebrush wad in the mono-groove bullet load.

I decided to stick to the original ideal Postell for 600, scores were not the best and I went to just the two BACO felts on a single wiper, and no damp patch afterwards, a very small amount of lead on the patch after the day’s shooting. I firmly believe my Postell wasn’t up to the task in this particular rifle load combination, at least at 600 yards due to the lighter weight.

The primary reason I tried these two bullets was that their noses fit the very tight barrel of my 25# barrel configuration. Which is about .4495, in retrospect I should have brought more PP bullets for 600 yards. Though the Postell shot a very decent score that first 500 yard relay, in moderate conditions. The 500 yard target is quite challenging with its very tight scoring rings. The mono-groove definitely cost me a lot of points.

From 800 on I used my Dual Diameter PP bullet, I did change up my wiping technique a considerable amount. I use 2 BACO bore wipers with two felts and a single dry patch following them. And a chamber swab before loading the next round. This has cut my wiping time in half and has speed up my shooting a noticeable amount with Paper patch.

It is worth mentioning that the rear felt of the second BACO bore wiper has just the rifling groove showing fouling on a white felt. The dry patch has a hint of the same. I would be remiss to mention that I used, MPro-7 to wipe with.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Fouling control is frustrating. How clean is clean or just good enough? No matter what I try the last dry patch always has some black streaks. Same for cleaning at end of day. After oiling the “clean” bore at the end of the day, when I run a dry patch through it before shooting the next day it always has some black streaks. GG shooters don’t seem to be tormented by this degree of cleanliness when wiping between shots or blow tubing.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

FWIW gang, I quit running a dry patch after the BACO bore wipes. Although that works fine most of the time I did have occasional leading problems.

I now use the BACO Bore wipes, two felts dipped (not soaked) in MPro-7 cleaner, with a 2.25" Pro Shot cotton patch "damp" with 1-10 mix of water soluble oil (Trimsol) and distilled water, for the 44-90 & 45-90.

At Ben Avery earlier this month I fired 55 consecutive shots (45-90 81.5 gr Swiss 1.5 gg bullets) with only the above fouling regimen, no between stages cleaning, and the first cleaning patch after the stage came out clean. Lead remover cloth came out clean.

I am also using a new to me lubricant I put in the bore at the end of the shooting day. Too soon to tell if that may be partially responsible for the easy clean up or not. (Microlon Gun Juice).
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Kenny Wasserburger

Only time I run a dry patch behind the BACO felts is when shooting PP as a dry bore is necessary.

Otherwise I leave it for Grease Groove in silhouette.

Kenny Wasserburger

Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

desert deuce wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:31 am FWIW gang, I quit running a dry patch after the BACO bore wipes. Although that works fine most of the time I did have occasional leading problems.

I now use the BACO Bore wipes, two felts dipped (not soaked) in MPro-7 cleaner, with a 2.25" Pro Shot cotton patch "damp" with 1-10 mix of water soluble oil (Trimsol) and distilled water, for the 44-90 & 45-90.

At Ben Avery earlier this month I fired 55 consecutive shots (45-90 81.5 gr Swiss 1.5 gg bullets) with only the above fouling regimen, no between stages cleaning, and the first cleaning patch after the stage came out clean. Lead remover cloth came out clean.

I am also using a new to me lubricant I put in the bore at the end of the shooting day. Too soon to tell if that may be partially responsible for the easy clean up or not. (Microlon Gun Juice).
So that's why you didn't give any away this year :D
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Kenny Wasserburger

The Harsh Brothers ride again[attachment=0]A1BF5CDB-F2CF-4315-81AD-0B3CAF2311FC.jpeg[/attachment] @Phoenix Ben Avery Range.

2023 Desert International Match
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kenny Wasserburger

[attachment=0]57DC8791-CAB0-4682-B795-14B8777030C3.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=1]1A2CF460-2249-4A31-8943-0325EA0EE317.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=2]1B8F93F5-0096-40E4-81C9-8DDD6954B312.jpeg[/attachment]

Photos curtsy of Zack Griz and Steve Anderson.

1000 yards.,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aviator

Post by Aviator »

It was good to see the Harsh Brothers in action again!
Kenny Wasserburger

I believe my 37 score is a new personal high score for myself at Alliance.

The Dual Diameter bullet shot very well, my new wiping regime same used as Phoenix seems to work well under the time constraints of shooting a match gong style. Bryan and I both felt we could have easily shot 40s. Tricky let offs got us several times.

As always Jim Bourn puts on an excellent match. Great time and great folks.

Wish Jim Kluskins, and Dan T were around to see this. I know Jim would of got a kick out of it, and Arnie I know will.

Load was a new lot of Olde Eynsford, I picked up in 2021 two cases of from Bear River Powder at the Quigley. 103.5 grs with .395 compression, along with my signature Wad stack. :P

That some experts say doesn’t work. @*&$# them. Elevation held extremely well.

For the upcoming Wyoming Midrange State match, I will return to my old Paul Jones Money Design that I used in 2018 to win the Scope BPTR Midrange Prone National championship, for 300 and 600 yards. My old Money 516 gr bullet that set the record in the Pedersoli 5@200 will do duty at 200 yards.[attachment=2]IMG_0583.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=2]IMG_0583.jpeg[/attachment]