Kelley kos sights

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

44-2.6

Kelley kos sights

Post by 44-2.6 »

Hello All, I've checked the search and can't find a post relating to the Kelley offset rear sight. From what I've seen in their add it looks like it might be easier to read elevation and windage than the sight I'm using. I'm of the vintage where that has become important. Does anyone have any first person experience with these sights?

thanks
getting old isn't for sissies
Lumpy Grits

Re: Kelley kos sights

Post by Lumpy Grits »

WELCOME :!:

http://www.kelleysights.com/Products.php

If it's made as well as their other sights, it will be a work of art and function.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

I don't have one of these sights but do have one that is similiar in design in that the staff is offset to the side. Yes i would say that it would be easier to read the elevation and from the looks of things you could use a magnet to attach or hold a small magnifying glass to make things a little easier. If you are one of those shooters that wipe between shots then this is the style sight you want to have. It leaves everything open giving you much better access to the breach and bore.
Sam
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I believe Ron Snover used to build and sell these type sights but don't know if he still does. My guess is the delrin rods sort of mitigated the need for offset staffs.
Do the KOS sights have more windage adjustment than the Soule sights? If so that might make them more necessary. Seems to me I remember they were quite a bit more money too.
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

The sight that I have was made by Ron Snover. I have no idea how old it is but each part has an "8" stamped on it. Mine is the early style that he made with the windage on the eyepiece stem. The later model he came out with had the windage adjustment on the base so it would be a lot easier to see your adjustments. Yes they were a bit pricey but all in all its a nice and functional sight. I would estimate the windage as equal to or maybe a bit more than what you would get on a mega-soul sight.
Even with the Delrin rods, and a standard sight you still have to fold it out of the way to rod your bore, with this style sight it folds forward and does not interfere with your cleaning rod. I did manage to pick up a second base for mine and can swap the sight between 3 different rifles if need be. Currently I have the base on my roller and on a custom Browning 78 that Ron had built up. Once spring decides to show up in full force I plan on taking it out and giving that sight a good workout.
Sam
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Thanks for the info Sam, I always thought they were a real neat idea and was interested in one but didn't have the money at the time of the interest.
44-2.6

Post by 44-2.6 »

Thanks for the replies, and yes they are a bit spendy, but there is supposed to be 34 minutes of windage with the adjustment at the eyecup, not the base. Further, they have an adjustment screw at the base that you can trim to keep the staff plumb at any range setting. Nice color case components, and bronze bearings, but mind you I'm not on Kelley's sales team, just trying to talk myself into spending $700.00.
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

One has to buy them through BACO.
There are a couple of reviews there.
One states that as they sit so low on the tang one third of the height cant be used as its below barrel height. So get the tallest.
The second review I cant quite understand as he says the screws have to be loosened to get the rod through, and is not spring loaded like the Soulle.
I understood that the sight did not have to be moved at all in order to clean so could not get what he was saying.

Keith
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

mdeland, yes the snover sights are/were pricy, as far as I know I am the 3rd or more owner on this sight and I got it at what I thought was a good price. I did check after I posted yesterday and it has approx 50 minutes of wind each way, that a lot of adjustment I think. Also for those that don't know, the snover sight does not fold back like most sights do, it only folds forward and the area under the eye cup is open from the cup to the tang so there is lots of room under the eye cup for you to rod your barrel. I am guessing that the Kelly sight run pretty much the same way. It may be a bit over engineered but from the looks of it, it is/would be a very nice sight. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes on sights. I don't think that there is a single sight to suite everyone. Personally I have 3 different tang sights, the Snover, 2 from Parts Unknown that are the 78 style and I have a Riflesmith sight in a mid-range. All are good sights in my opinion just different options for different applications.
Sam
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

FWIW, I have a Neumann dr. Goodwin-style rear sight for my Martini (several, actually) - and it is just about the only sight useable on a Martini without requiring an extra heigth front sight. Also, you won't be able to wipe underrneath untill you're at an elevation setting allowing you to: the 100 yds setting will have the eyecup in the way. As from 3-400, no issues in wiping underneath with the staff upright. And if you put just about any sight on a roller or a Hepburn, you are bound to lose a lot of staff...
44-2.6

Post by 44-2.6 »

Once again I'm very appreciative of all responses to my query, your good information has inspired me to call BACO and see if I can get in touch with Gullo. He used to shoot an original no. 3 Rem Hep in .44-2.6, and I bet he's using one of these Kelley kos sights.

thanks
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Please keep us updated.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

I have finally got around installing one of these to my Roller. I have been using a scope for load testing and now want to get sight settings for distance.
I was at 200 yds yesterday and the elevation works out at dead on 1.5 inches on the scale or as I call it 150 points. The paper with it calls it 150 MOA.
The scale goes up to 3.5 inches so I only have 2 inches or 200 points left.
Is this enough to get me to 1000 yds.?
Second question The instructions say its got 37.5 MOA windage each side of centre and that the adjustment is in .5 MOA.
Looking at the scale there is 3 main divisions each side of centre, with each divided into 5 divisions. The circumference of the knob has 5 divisions.
Where I am confused is that it says adjustment is .5 MOA. Is this the division on the knob or the division on the windage scale?
Also how do they work out the 37.5 MOA windage each side from that?
For information I built this as a PP rifle and had a pure PP reamer made to allow me to use full length .405 Win brass. I can shoot this and do not have to touch the case again except for cleaning. Just hand seat the patched bullet straight in. Load is currently 83 grains Swiss FFF as thats all I have available.
Comments appreciated.

Keith
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Good to hear from you Keith. I've seen these sights but never actually used one ..though clearly they work fine. As for sight settings, of course
numerous variables there to contemplate but just as a rough reference. Using my MVA soule on the 44 ( approx 480-510 gn @ 1300 fps ) my 200 yd setting is around 25 pts and goes up to 155 -170 pts at 1000 yds. As is my shooting so far from an exact science... so to my settings vary more than they probably should but I'd imagine you'll be using another 1.5" or so of that sight to reach out to 1000. That's just a ball park though. hth.
rgds.. Gavin.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Thanks Gavin. I still want to get down and shoot with you guys but age is slowing me down. 78 this year.
Never mind , so with 200 points left I should make it OK. I should add that I am using a Jim 396-415E and one of the full bore guys let me fire a couple over his Chrony. I am getting just over 1400 fps.
This windage still confuses me.

Keith