sn42-bi58 what is it?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

flintski

sn42-bi58 what is it?

Post by flintski »

I was at the local hardware store this morning and found some lead looking stuff that was stamped SN42-BI58 with a little research it came out 42% tin and 58% BISMUTH. would this stuff be worth buying at 25 cent a pound? Is there a use in casting that can be useful? Bismuth in shot shells is heavy and hard. You smart guys clue me in... :roll:
Why shoot an ugly gun when life is so short.
Jim B.

Post by Jim B. »

flintski -- I would suspect the bismuth content to totally screw up your alloy, for bullet making purposes anyway. A slush-like consistency of the molten bullet alloy may result. Kind of like what happens to those who choose to use a wheelweight-based alloy and by chance happen to get one made of zinc thown in the mix by mistake. Ruins the whole batch, or so I've been told. If you decide to try it anyway, I'd recommend doing so on a very small scale to start with, just to be on the safe side, as the contaminated alloy cannot be ecconomically reclaimed. Jim B.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Flintski, what you describe is the new form of solder that has no lead in it. I would heed Jim's advice and stay away from it altogether. It isn't what you are looking for in order to make good quality bullets :!: Randy
Randy Ruwe
flintski

Post by flintski »

:wink: I think i will buy just one small block and do some experimenting in an old pot just to see what happens. I'll let you know what comes of it.. A 2 pound block is only .50 cents, worth a chance..... :P flint
Why shoot an ugly gun when life is so short.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

RandyFlintski, I wouldn't do it for love or money :!: :roll: The only thing it will accomplish is a waste of time, 4 bits, and possibly messing up your bore. Stick with what works. :shock:
Randy Ruwe
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

flintski

42 tin/58 bismouth is a low temp solder,it melts around 500 degs.
We use that stuff for plumbing pouring a low temp lead joint for things like plastic pipe joint to cast iron so it dont cut in to deep in the plastic,and soldering lead flashings.It is also used for soldering electronical components.
If I remember right tin melts at 450 degs. and gismouth melts arround 520.
I would not use it for bullets.

Kurt