Paul Mathews bullet 457677

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Harlan Sage

Paul Mathews bullet 457677

Post by Harlan Sage »

Has anyone out there tried the P Mathews bullet 457677 by Lyman. I read the article last year in SSE and looks like it would be a good silhouette bullet.
I'd like to hear some results and how it has been loaded and seated.

Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Harlan, I've got both the 45 and 40 cal.molds.I shot the 45 in a silhouette match last year.Seemed to hold together accuracy wise.I do know you can seat it out quite aways and get a snootful of powder in a 45-70 case.Something on the order of 82grs of Goex CTG! I need to do some more playing around with it,if mother nature ever decides to melt off the last 6" of snow! Monkeyboy.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Monkeyboy, 82 grs in a .45-70 case? What brand case? Not doubting your word, but that is about all I can get into a .45-90 case. Randy
Randy Ruwe
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

OmahaPoke, Winchester cases and compressed about .325. OAL-3.15 Don't have the velocity figures handy.Bullet weight runs about 490grs in WW. Shot out of a Browning 45-70 BPCR. Monkeyboy.
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

Is this mould still being made ? I have read things from so many people about and then how it was changed and the old ,new one, yet i have never seen one to date or people who thought it was better then the postal ! JAGG
JAGG
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

JAGG,
I just bought the mold from Lyman about 6 weeks ago and am getting ready to cast and shoot a few but looking for a starting point for a load.

I heard they stopped making it, made some changes and started up again. Don't know what changes were made if any.

Harlan

monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Harlan, I think the only change is that Lyman came out with this mold in a nose pour until they started breaking cherries.They were reissued as a base pour,which are the ones I have.You might want to contact Jim B. or Steve L.,I know that they have one of the original nose pour molds. Monkeyboy.
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Mike,
The mold I have is the base pour.
I thought it would be a good silhouette for the 45-70. Don't know if it will work in the 45-90, might be too fast, will see.

Harlan

Dave Logosz

Post by Dave Logosz »

Harlen; I have had good results with that bullet in Cathy's 45-70. She shot that bullet at Kenneys match last year and it grouped very well out to 1000 yards. The bullet design enables excellent velocity out of any case. I have not worked with it in any of my larger cases but there is no reason it should not work. Cathy will be using this bullet this year. Hope to see you at a match soon. Allready got reservations at the rv park at Whittington center. PS Like your web site. Dave
Dave Logosz