457132 or 457125 which one?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Lead Pot,
You might consider shipping via U.S. Postal Service Priority Mail. The envelope is $3 and change as I remember. Had four boxes in one envelope (200 rnds) shipped to me that way. Post Master said he hoped this didn't catch on but was perfectly legal.
Shoot Straight
pete

Post by pete »

Leadpot; Your price plus shipping experience is kinda what I was thinking. You're right Midway has them for $50 and I've got handles.
Ken; I'll probably go with Midway this time as I got a gift certificate for them for Christmas. I'll definately keep gar in mind for future buys though.
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Thank you Bearbait,I will keep that in mind.

Pete,
After reading this post I was thinking I had one of those 132 moulds.I dug in the mould drawer and I found it,Pete that sure is a rough looking mould,the tool marks are deep and a lot of them.Look it over good if you deside to go that way.

Kurt
John W.

Post by John W. »

Pete,
I'm in the same boat you are. I simply can't afford a hundred bucks for a mould. I am hoping to try a few different bullets this next payday. Buffalo Arms sells a bunch of diferent Lyman bullets, lubed with SPG. I've ordered a few from them for hunting and found them to be of good quality. I'd simply love to order a custom mould for my Shiloh, except my kids come first at this point! I swapped a fellow for a Lee pot and a rusted up lube sizer. Now all I need are sizer dies, a mould, etc...
John T Walker
pete

Post by pete »

Lead Pot; Hopefully I'll get a good one. My luck can be pretty spotty.
John W. ; This money issue sure can be a detriment huh. I'm almost ashamed to say I ordered a Lee pot what with all the super pots that are talked about here. Another issue is that while I've always liked the old single shots and finally got a Shiloh after wanting one for a long time I'm not sure about the competition thing yet. I shot one silhouette match with my rolling block before I got my Shiloh and thought it was a blast (Even though I pretty much sucked) but I don't want to spend too much and then don't stay with it for whatever reason. Done that type of thing before.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

JAGG & Pete: I'd think twice 'bout the Lyman cast bullets. From the Lyman FAQ page:

"LRHP BULLETS

"Q: What is the hardness of these bullets?

"A: These are approximately 10 BHN."

http://lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/FAQ.htm

The bullets from Buffalo Arms probably would be more applicable, esp. w/ BP as the propellant:

“Cast Bullets
“Our cast bullets are cast from 20-1 alloy and lubed with SPG lube. These bullets are suitable for smokeless or black powder with velocities of up to approximately 1,500 fps depending on bore condition. “

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,81.html
pete

Post by pete »

Ray; The hardness for 20-1 is 10 BHN. Pure lead is 5. I'm not buying bullets though. I'll just get the mold.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Pete; you're right. Read the wrong information from my CB book. Need to get new bifocals or new eyes or both....
carl thomas zmuda

LYNMAN'S 457125

Post by carl thomas zmuda »

In the Spring 2004 issue of Black Powder Cartridge News Bob Glodt has an article about Lyman's 457125 and its clones. Read it if you can!
Todd Birch

The Classic Lyman 457125

Post by Todd Birch »

The fact that something is widely copied and little changed is high praise.
This is true of the Lyman/Ideal 457125.
In addition to subscribing to this forum, every blackpowder rifleman ought to be subscribing to Steve Garbe's Black Powder Cartridge News. Most of us are already using his SPG bullet lube for everything from it's intended purpose to smoothing our work roughened hands and other uses ......'Snap!' - another mouse goes to the great mouse hole in the sky.....
In the current issue (Spring 2004) the monthly article by Bob Glodt (Reloading Bench) discusses the history of the 457125. This is "must" reading for folks like us.
Glodt mentions that the Lyman design went to a bore riding .450" from the original .446" to accomodate smokeless rifle shooters. This meant that those of us not so deluded had a problem with fouling.
Lyman reduced this according to Glodt, but not enough. My Lyman 457125 was made in 9/01 and is marked 457125EV. It mikes .448" ahead of the last driving band. A batch of cast bullets meaure out at .448 - .449".
I haven't done much shooting with them to date so I can't comment on their usefullness.
I bought it simply because I thought it looked more liked a .45-70 oughta look like compared to my 'Schmitzer' projectiles and what the history books said was correct.
Most custom makers have reduced the the nose to back to original specs and Glodt says that his next order will be for a mould that measures .448" on the nose and .458" on all driving bands. It will have four grease grooves instead of three wider grooves and I presume will be of nose pour design. I wonder why he didn't specify the original .446".

Sounds to me like Lyman already offers what he is willing to buy from a custom maker except that it isn't a nose pour design.
The illustration of the original government bullet shows a slight bevel base unlike the modern versions, probably to accomodate mass reloading.

The whole magazine is crammed with related good stuff, "Crank's Corner" by Garbe included. His piece on "Everlasting" cases and their usefullness is wonderful.
The original directions for reloading them make interesting reading......

"Care should be taken in loading that the charge is always the same, never crush the powder. Never crimp or crease the shell. Bullets should be seated with a ball seater or seated in the barrel of the rifle.
When grooved bullets are used, dip them in melted lubricant of eight parts pure tallow and one part bees wax. Fg powder has been found to be the best for rifles, the high grades are too quick and too dry."
The illustrated cases are for calibres .32-35 to .40-85, not the long .45-110 where shooters are having good results with Fg.
One of the better silhouette shooters I know has always used Fg in his .45-70 because he once found an old article by Elmer Keith that said to use it!
He makes it work with loads measured by volume, not weight. If you argue with him, he says "Beat me and I'll listen to you." He doesn't get much argument.....

The last comment re: Fg seems to be confirmed by the latest trends reported on this forum. We are ever trying to relearn what was once common knowledge amongst riflemen.

The rest of the magazine has good stuff on the Maynard rifles and cases and a shooter's hunting experience with his original Colt musket and Smith Carbine - the sort of thing we all wish for ourselves and our rifles.

Good reading!

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

I have been using the Lyman 457406 Mould for about 25 years. This is a bore riding 482 Gr gas check bullet with lymna #2 alloy. Lyman says it can be used with or with out the gas check. This is a 4 cavity mould. Last year, I had the two center cavities re cut to remove the gas check and increase the width of the base band. Now the bullet casts at 513 gr. with 20/1. The nose adjacent to the front driving band mikes at .447, and the front driving band mikes .456, the rest of the bands mike .458. There are 4 grease groves. With the exception of my modified base band, the bullet is for all practical purposes a 457125 with a wide base band. HMMMMM shoots good too.
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation