Firing Pins

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

nohorse

Firing Pins

Post by nohorse »

Kirk: Is there a way to determine if you have a broken firing pin without disassembly of the breech block? Outta curiosity - how much does an extra pin cost. Do you recommend any other parts to keep in the shooting box in case ya run into a mechanical problem at the range?

Thanks
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi There, The firing pin should protrude approx. .050". It should work freely and not hang up. Other than this, it should leve the same strike mark from case to case. I always carry an extra pin and main spring, never have had to put one in our personal guns but you never know. Thanks Kirk
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Thanks Kirk.......I may just follow Lee Stone's lead and pick up the ultimate Shiloh parts and accessories kit [another new Shiloh..maybe a 50-90 this time!!!]
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
Brent

Post by Brent »

Kirk,
I have an old Farmingdale Shiloh and worry a lot about that firing pin - still doing it's job, but are there any spares of this original thick pin lying around your shop that you would part with?

Brent
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I liked Kirk's suggestion so I just spoke with Ellen and purchased a firing pin, a main spring and a lever spring to keep in my range box. I figure if I have them handy in my range box I am more likely to never need them. It is if I don't have them that I'll most likely need them. You know, the Murphy's Law thing. And since both my Shilohs have heavy barrels, the same lever spring will do.
Lee Stone
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hey Brent, you probably need to send that old gun in so that I can put a new block in it, there are no parts. Thanks
Brent

Post by Brent »

[quote="Kirk"]Hey Brent, you probably need to send that old gun in so that I can put a new block in it, there are no parts. Thanks[/quote]

Kirk,
What is the cost and turn around time for this? I'm kinda partial to my old block for now, but perhaps I should plan ahead and start saving...
Brent
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

The breech block exchange is $90.00, if you send just the old breech block, I can match it with a new one. Thanks Kirk