too much in 40-82?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Joe Burr

too much in 40-82?

Post by Joe Burr »

I am loading 40-82 rounds formed from Rem. 45-70 cases. I am using a drop tube of 24", and compressing the load along with a card wad and grease cookie. The bullet is seated with all lube grooves covered. I weighed the charge at 70 grs of 2f Goex. I'm still fairly new to BPCR loading, does that sound like too much powder for the 40-82?
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Joe,
Why the grease cookie? Are there no grease grooves on the bullet? The depth of the bullet seating inside the case is also good to know if you are looking for suggested powder weights. How much compression are you using now with the 70 grains of 2Fg Goex? Is your brass the streched 45-70 brass from Buffalo Arms? More information is better.
Keep on hav'n fun!
PS: to answer your question, no, 70 grains is not too much 2Fg Goex [I use that in my 40-65]. I doubt that with a grease cookie plus your bullet, you can get enough powder in the case. Just a guess. :roll:
Joe Burr

Post by Joe Burr »

I am using the stretched Buffalo Arms brass. I am using the grease cookie just as something to try. The bullets I had on hand are for smokeless loads, lubed with alox, so there wouldn't be enough lube otherwise. I guess by you meaning enough powder, you mean I could have got more in the case? I wasn't looking for powder charge suugestions as much as I wanted to ensure that it would be a safe load. There is plenty enough compression with the card wads and grease cookie under the bullet. As the load is for a Winchester 86, all the grease grooves are covered. As i had to seat the bullet with all the lube grooves covered, the bullet will be siitting on top of the cookie and wads right at the very bottom of the taper in the neck of the case. My understanding is that you don't want to go much farter down than that, where the case starts to open up, otherwise the grease goes everywhere and the wads aren't sitting right.
KHR

Post by KHR »

Joe
your load is safe as long as you do not have any airspace in the case. I shoot an '86 in 45/90 and find that overall case length is critical for accuracy. I tried to mimic some original rounds (but with the Lyman 330 gn hollowpoint) and made the rounds too short. Accuracy was awful. Went back to full OAL and was ok. How does your '96 shoot? Mine is pretty good. I found that a grease cookie hurt accuracy, the lyman mould I use holds enough SPG lube.

for hunting I tried the triple 7 powder, thought it would be cleaner than black, less corrosion chance etc. Boy it was a mistake, triple 7 was way too hot, primers were even getting distorted. Not all that accurate and much much more recoil over black.

:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
Joe Burr

Post by Joe Burr »

KHR; I'm certain there isn't any airspace in the case, with all that powder, wad and grease cookie under the bullet, I couldn't see the likelihood of it! I have found watching this site for awhile that grease cookies appear quite unpopular. I did load the cases with alox lubed bullets, so the grease cookie was a must have. Although somewhat different in loading and application, I have loaded my BP .44-40's with a grease cookie for years. They work great! I can shoot a Cowboy match for three days without cleaning my Uberti 66. Some 200 rounds later, there is nor problem with fouling.

This will be the first time I have loaded large volume BP cartridges. So, its the first time I have shot this 86. The bore looks OK, so we'll see how it works. The rifle was made in 1887, and is overall in great shape. My 44-77 Whitney will be back from the gunsmith next week, had to have the stock repaired. So that will be next in line for loading! :wink:
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Quick question: what is the dia. of the bore vis-à-vis the diameter of the bullets that you are using?

If memory serves me correctly, the original .40-82 WCF was a smaller bore size than the .40’s shot today....
KHR

Post by KHR »

Joe
I havent tried grease cookies in 44/40, how do you do it? sounds like a great idea!
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
Joe Burr

Post by Joe Burr »

The grease cookies i use are easy, i mix about 50/50 crisco and beeswax up on the stove, then pour it on an old cookie sheet to your desired depth. When it firms up, I invert a case charged with BP and a wad over top the powder, and cut out the cookie with the actual case. It takes some getting used to to get them to slide off the sheet just right, but they work real damn good.

I haven't slugged the bore on this '86 just yet. Bullets are .406 dia.