Borchardts

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Harlan Sage

Borchardts

Post by Harlan Sage »

Kirk,

Is the Borchardt still in the works and if so could you give us an update on the progress.

Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Good morning, yes it is in the works, way to far to turn back now. As far as a completion date, this is hard to put a thumb on, I am trying buy the shot show. Thanks Kirk
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

Ahh yes, the ultimate single shot black powder cartridge rifle.Somebody Slap Me!!! :D :shock: :cry: :x :lol:
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
Troll

Post by Troll »

There is an original Borchardts Sharps long-range competition rifle in 45-90 for sale on the GunsAmerica website auction. I think the starting bid is 14K.
-Finese is choosing the right size hammer
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

For 14K I could get between 3 and a half and 4 Shilohs. I'd druther have the Shilohs myself. I have examined original Sharps and I love them. But Shilohs are better rifles. In my humble opinion anyway. Besides that, I much prefer the '74s over the Borchardts. But that is just a matter of taste, said the old lady as she kissed the calf.
Lee Stone
Parley Baer

Post by Parley Baer »

Hmmmm. Looks like my next Shiloh will be a Borchardt. Lets see now. Pistol grip stock with the curl. Checkered with extra fancy maybe even presentation wood. Ebony forend cap. Half octagon barrel, polished and 30 inches long. Fire blue screws. Bone and charcoal color case. Will order with the brass key and furniture that holds the forend on(Kirk willing)hehehe. Steel shotgun buttplate.

Now the biggest problem will be the caliber. I already have most of the bases covered. Maybe the .40-50SBN. Maybe the .45-100. Looks like I will have the rest of the year to think it over.

Here is what I have now caliber wise. 38-55, 40-65, 40-70SBN, 44-77SBN, 45-70, 45-90, 45-110 and 50-70.
SHILOH 4
I'am that man, Matt Dillon, United States Marshall, the first man they look for and the last they want to meet.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Parley Baer:

I'll take a "Frank Hyde" Borchardt in 45-110 with a 32 inch Barrel.

.........for Starters. ;-)

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Parley:

OOPS 36 inch barrel.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

My Borchardt, When ever Kirk can get the time to Build them that is.

Will be in a 45-110 and be just like Frank Hyde's Rifle EXCEPT! I will have a 34 inch tube. I dont know if Kirk can build a 36 incher and Frankly I dont want one anyways.

34 is ALL you need and IT works. Been There And DONE THAT.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Parley Baer

Post by Parley Baer »

Hi Guys

I hope you realize that if you get a "Frank Hyde" rifle you have to shoot 650 grains slugs with 125 grains of black powder just like Frank did. :shock: Nice looking rifle. I also like the one right next to his in Sellers book. In fact all of them on that page look good. :D Parley
SHILOH 4
I'am that man, Matt Dillon, United States Marshall, the first man they look for and the last they want to meet.
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

I already have my order ready to place. 45-110 34" barrell.

36" barrel...are you nuts...2 more inches of fouling to deal with.

Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Harlan:

From what Kenny has said about his 45-110 load, I would bet it could be made to shoot relatively clean. I would guess Mr. Hyde had it that way for a reason.

Maybe it was just for sight radius. Between that and having a heel mounted "Tang Sight". He had loads of sight radius. At this point in time, historically correct has a certain charm to it, especially if William Garrish had one for his world record.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Kenny Wasserburger

Parley,

I gona tease you a bit you need to read up :wink: UMC did make some ammo for these rifles loaded as such. However I have some references of Hyde and Garrish using loads in the 108 to 112 grs area of FG. Yeah Thats where I got the idea to try 108 grs of FG in my 45-110.

I have a couple of loads in 2 different types of Brass that are shooting very well at 800 to 1000 yards. They are actual copies of Loads that I have found in my research, 106 and 108 grs of Fg powder. I use the same style of Bullet nose they were using except with Grease grooves and not PP.

The Rdnck is using the 106 gr load and having VERY good Results. With the same style of bullet.

Guess what It wins LR Matches too! just like it did in 1879-80. In a rifle that has over 11350 rounds down that barrel.

I am not going to bore folks with MOA sizes and such. Some dont think its true, Thats ok I dont really care if they do or not. The load and last years scores at 2 major Creedmoor events are all the proof I need.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Kenny Wasserburger

Harlin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am setting here debating on if I need a sip of Nerve tonic, (makers Mark) I just read that you have ordered a 45-110!!!!!!!???

WOW :shock: You must of liked what you saw out of my Shiloh and Jimbo's at Raton?

Kenny Wasserburger

Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Kenny,
I think that with your evangelical ways you have won the hearts of more than one convert.

I'll tell you what. After my .50/90 gets here, and after July (my LAST house payment) my thoughts are strongly turning to a Long Range Express in .45/110. I cant promise it to myself just yet. I have to see how things work out first, but after reading your posts and Rdnck's posts on the .45/110, I sure do want one. I appreciate all your informative posts on it. Thank you.
Lee Stone