Inline seating dies

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Harlan Sage

Inline seating dies

Post by Harlan Sage »

I know there have been some discussion in the past but limited response on the inline seating dies.

Are they really worth getting one and how do they improve the bullet seating. I would also like to hear some recommendations on which die to consider buying and why.

Thanks
Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
RMulhern

In-Line Seating Die

Post by RMulhern »

Harlan

As a further addition to the data that I've sent you....here is a photo of the Wilson In-Line Die: http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/cat ... type=store

One thing that must be considered before using this system....and Kenny may have something to add to my "diatribe"....is that if one is leaving a slight flare upon the mouth of the case.....then I DO NOT THINK IT WOULD BE FEASIBLE to use an in-line die because the flare would be LARGER than the OD of the case and it would interfere with the process!

What say Kenny?? :roll: :!: :roll:
AL Rittenhouse

Post by AL Rittenhouse »

I was wondering about the one that Meacham sells because you can change calibers for so little more. Or is everyone using the Redding competition seater dies. Thanks Al
It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground
N2

Post by N2 »

The Redding Competition die is a great tool if you're shooting a 40-65 or a 45-70/90/100/110. If you shoot anything else there is an option. Neil Jones makes excellent straight line seaters and both full length and neck only bushing sizing dies for about $100 each.

www.neiljones.com
dozer

Post by dozer »

I have been using the GMW-Vickerman in line, window type for 2 years and the runout is less than a standard die. It's shown on the www.castingstuff.com web site on the GMW page. There is supposed to be a Vickerman die web site up soon. The Meachum is a copy of the Vickerman with a mic top added (and more money).

I really like the window die for ease of loading. A slightly belled case is no problem and all of mine are. The chamber reamed sliding sleeve centers the case and the bullet is above it in a grove. They are brought together and seated with both being held in alignment and in a straight line. My runout is .003 or less, usually less.
Doz
dozer

Post by dozer »

I talked to Bob at GMW this morning. He does not have the web page up yet. It will be at www.gmwvickerman.com when it is up. He has it ready, but has a computer problem and can't publish it. It should be up soon.
Doz
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

What Nick said,

The Redding Dies are what I am using in the 45-110 and my 45-70 also the daughters 40-65.

Runout on my match ammo is less then .001 ALWAYS.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
cgdavid

Post by cgdavid »

Ken

Do you have problems with Redding dies damaging the nose of the bullet?

Thanks....Curt
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Curt,

So far No? That often means one has a tad too much neck tension or your using the bullet to compress the powder?

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
cgdavid

Post by cgdavid »

Ken

I don't have a 45-70 Redding die yet. I'm using a RCBS die but I ground the seating plug to work with flat-nose bullets in lever guns. I had read that nose damage might be an issue with Redding and soft, round lead. Just wanted to check before I bought one.

Know what you mean when talking about their dies producing straight ammo. Use a Redding comp die for 6br benchrest stuff.

Thanks...Curt
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

I have been using Hornady 45/70 dies that have a sliding sleeve that fits over the bullet and slides with it to the top of the die to be seated ! Works OK , but i also uae 458win. mag dies that are normal seating dies and they work OK too ! How much does the Redding die seating cost ? JAGG
JAGG
wofat

Post by wofat »

i ordered the meacham inline last week with a .409 sleave for my 40-70 and a.446 sleave for my 44-77 . should come soon, hopefully tomorrow i'll let you'll know how i like it.
dozer

Post by dozer »

I noticed mention of a belled case in the inlines. I always put a slight bell on my case. If it is too big, it will size back down in the sleeve as it comes up. I have only a slight ring mark from the die and it is so slight, you cannot feel it, cosmetic only. When I wipe my bullets after seating, it is gone. My runout meas might differ from others as I read mine 1/2" out from the case mouth. I know a lot gauges say 1/4".
The www.gmwvickerman.com web site is now up, but still under construction. I talked to Bob and he will have a mic top and a mic top compression die out very soon.
Doz