Buffalo Hunters Encyclopedia

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ChrisF

Buffalo Hunters Encyclopedia

Post by ChrisF »

Looking for a book to read over the winter would the Encyclopedia of Buffalo Hunters be a good choice. It seems I have many of the Breedmoor books that I know of. I have picked Kenny W brain about Creedmoor books ans Have the ones he told me about. So I am looking for something new. Thoughts?
Yellowhouse

Re: Buffalo Hunters Encyclopedia

Post by Yellowhouse »

By all means Get Vol 1&2 then beg and plead, even grovel, for them to get Vol 3 out!
Sam
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Leo Reminger (one of the main authors of the series) is a friend and shooting buddy of mine and when I asked him about the third addition he did not sound optimistic about it ever happening. He retired from his day job last year and I don't know if this is good or bad news for the completion of the series.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

According to Leo, most of the work has been done on the others editions of the encyclopedias. Last year I spoke with Lee Frye of Dixie Gun Works at the Tulsa show and he said they won't print anything else until the ones in print now sell out. That's the hold up.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

With all due respect I think that publishing the third volume would reinvigorate interest and result in a desire to have a complete set thus increasing sales of the first two.
Sam
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Good point!
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Wish the third volume would go to press. Hopefully it will shed information on Frank Meyer. Was he the "real McCoy" or just a story teller??....
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Wishing on here won't get it done. Contact Lee Frye of Dixie Gun Works and Pioneer Press. According to him, he and only he determines whether it goes to print.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

John Bly wrote:Wishing on here won't get it done. Contact Lee Frye of Dixie Gun Works and Pioneer Press. According to him, he and only he determines whether it goes to print.
Might an opportunity for an investment. Anybody out there with deep pockets want it published?
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Is there anything in these books about Billy Dixon or Meyers or Billinghurst
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

The hunters are in alphabetic order so Dixon is in Vol I . Volume II ends with the letter K
Sam
axman

Post by axman »

Both are great reads, the stories give you a big appreciation of the hard life the people led.
pete

Post by pete »

I have both volumes and for the most part think they're well done. I wonder though if more photos of artifacts and especially color ones would help with sales. Photos of some of the locations would be nice too. The obvious problem with this is cost but on the other hand the less than big sales could simply be a reflection of the fact that there aren't that many bp cartridge shooters comparetively speaking. I too wanted to see what they had to say about Mayer.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

"Wishing on here won't get it done. Contact Lee Frye of Dixie Gun Works and Pioneer Press. According to him, he and only he determines whether it goes to print."
--John Bly

John: I have both volumes and given a few as gifts. And I have contacted Dixie a few times about the third volume: once I was told it was not ready for publication-- still a work in progress, then there was some problem with the researchers agreeing when it would be released, and latest was it will not be published until the remaining stock of volume one and two are sold. My SWAG (Scientific Wild Arsed Guess) is that the last reason for not publishing makes the most sense. I am 'sorta' surprised that both volumes have not sold out. Considering the cost of things today, US$30.00 for volume 1 and $35.00 for volume 2 do not seem excessive.

But I do believe Pete is onto something when he posted: "The obvious problem with this is cost but on the other hand the less than big sales could simply be a reflection of the fact that there aren't that many bp cartridge shooters comparatively speaking." Am not sure if he mean "cost" as in the cost of the books or publishing costs, but I have been told that publishing a limited run and especially a work with limited interest is very expensive..
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
boge

Post by boge »

I am beginning to believe that we will never see another volume. That's too bad as they are fantastic research tools. :(
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!