power wad cutter

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Ron B

power wad cutter

Post by Ron B »

Hers a thing that might be of intrest to you all,
I made a rotary wad cutter thats works in a drill press,I took a piece of tool steel about 1/2 inch dia and bored a hole in it the dia of the inside of my shell pluss 20 thousands over size to a depth of about 5/8 inch, then drilled a 1/4 inch hole all the wat through the piece, By the way the total length of metal was about 11/2 long I then made a plunger with a diameter of 457 on one end and 1/4 inch on the other i placed a compression spring over the 1/4 inch rod and ran it inside the cutter then made a small ring to fit over the 1/4 inch rod ,i then installed a roll pin to hold the plunger in the cutter, The outside of the cutter is belved to a knife shafp edge.
I put a piece of lumber in the drill table to cut in to, You can cut wads out of plastic felt or whatever,just bt depressing the handle of the drill press, Once in a while i lube the cutter with parrafine, you can cut several thousand out in nothing flat!!!!
I hope my directions aint too confusing,
Ron B
Born a hundred and 10 years too late !
Ted Kramer

wad cutter

Post by Ted Kramer »

The rotating cutter has always worked better for me than any other. Mine is also made from tool steel, but is about 4" long with the cutting diameter of .408" about 1/4" deep, then the thru hole is about 7/16" the rest of the way. I don't have the spring deal you have but when the 4" long tube is full I just take it from the chuck and push out the wads with a hunk of 3/8" ramrod, then start over. I like the clean edges a rotating cutter makes vs. the sometimes crushed and mangled edges on punched wads.
cgdavid

Post by cgdavid »

For those not equiped to to make your own......

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,243.html