Breech Block will not reinsert in 1863 carbine

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gmartin

Breech Block will not reinsert in 1863 carbine

Post by gmartin »

Oh I think I need help please,
Today following a lengthy shooting session with my '63 carbine, and after thoroughly cleaning it, I find that the breech gas seal refuses to not go past the chamber sleeve (incorrect term?) and indeed there may even be a cresent shaped marr on this "sleeve". I gently tried tapping it forward with a bullet starter but to no avail save to ding the wood of the starter. What to do?
Any aid would be appreciated! Gregg
OMD

Post by OMD »

Hi Gregg,

If you're like me, you took the nipple out of the breech block to clean it. Make sure when you put it back in, you tightened it all the way. When I have had trouble reinserting the breech block into the breech it has been because the nipple wasn't tightened enough -- it's not an obvious problem.

Take care,
Owen
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I dont have one but reading down the list is an article on cleaning with an answer from kirk that might help its in the support colume and is down about 10 or 11 posts.................Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
gmartin

reinserting 1863 breechblock

Post by gmartin »

To OMD and Powderburner,
Thanks for the help. The nipple tightened didn't help (boy was I hopeful!), and the cleaning site really didn't aid me either.
Thank you however, Gregg
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Gregg,

Make sure your gas seal on the breech block is seated all the way into the breech block. Machining tolerances are very tight. If the gas seal is not seated completely, it will not go in. Did you clean under the gas seal? Clean that are very well or the seal might not seat right.

Rich
gmartin

Breech

Post by gmartin »

Rich,
I always very carefully clean under the gas seal. Just this problem for the first time since purchasing gun in 1978. For tumbler repair in oct. 2003, it was found the gas seal worn and needed to be replaced so it was. The sheering portion of the gas seal seems to hang up on a burr pushed up by the breech. It just wouldn'd seat after cleaning.
Thank you, Gregg
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Gregg, give me a call, I'm back now, there have been so many posts I'm confused. Thanks Kirk