'Somebody stole my fire....' 1863 refuses to fire......

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Todd Birch

'Somebody stole my fire....' 1863 refuses to fire......

Post by Todd Birch »

After firing a five shot 2 1/4" group at 50 yds with my .50 Shiloh '63, I moved the target out to 100 yds.
I got off one shot, dead centre of the bull, three inches high of the POA. It was my first experience using nitrated paper with a charge of 60 grs of cartridge grade powder.
This load enables complete insertion of the paper cartridge with thumb pressure and no shearing action causing spilled powder. This behind a breech seated bullet. My idea was to gain some load consistency.

I then had three consecutive failures to fire! Its a little un-nerving waiting for something to happen before you open the breech admitting air to the chamber....
When I did, the base of the paper cartridge was barely scorched. Before firing the third time, I puntured the end of the paper to aid ignition - same result.
Pulling the nipple proved that not to be the problem. I couldn't blow air from the nipple hole through the flash hole on the block.

Unscrewing the flash hole screw at home enabled me to insert and hand turn a small drill. The blockage was right at the centre of the block.
Eventually I cleared what turned out to be fluff from the pipe cleaners I had used to clean out the flash hole.

The nitrated paper was about 98% consumed, the residue easily blow out with a puff. I'm not happy with the amount of fouling in the bore and I attribute that not using SPG as a lube. Lesson learned.

The slightly higher point of impact using the same sight picture as when I was shooting 65 gr loads I attribute to the longer dwell time in the barrel.

If this proves to be consistent, I will have found a load I intend to hunt with.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Todd Birch

....someone stole my fire, part 2......

Post by Todd Birch »

My '63, she go bang again! Ceptin' for one time that is......

Having cleared the flash channel of pipe cleaner lint, it was back to the bench at 100 yds once again.

Using the same 60 grain loads in nitrated paper, I produced a 5 shot group with a vertical spread of 1 1/4", horizontal 2 1/4", two rounds in virtually the same hole. The group was centred 2" above POA at 6 o'clock.

I declare myself and the rifle ready for spring bear season!

The one misfire occurred on the third shot. In my haste to make up this last batch of paper tubes, I didn't do the right thing in forming a paper plug over the forming mandrel, but simply folded over the ends of the tube, glueing them in place.
Coupled with the glue, this was too much paper thickness for the flash of the musket cap to ignite. The cure was to punch a hole in the base of the cartridge with a knife.

Too soon we get old, too late we get smart.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Todd,
Have you tried roll yopur own cigarette paper for the base of the round?
I works very well
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Todd Birch

.....roll your own.....cigarettes and paper cartridges

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey, that's a good idea!

Cigarette paper ought not to need any encouragement to burn if it'll burn wrapped 'round 'baccy and that other stuff, British Columbia's largest cash crop.

It's not true what they say about you - you're much more than a pretty face!

Thanks Jim
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

If you don't want to open the breach then get yourself a nipple charger ! It will load 4fg powder into the nipple and into the flash hole to clear the passage ways ! Old ML trick ! JAGG
JAGG
Todd Birch

...nipple charging.....

Post by Todd Birch »

Thanks for the tip, Jagg!

I've actually blown both patched round ball and Minies out of my Enfields the odd time I've 'dry balled' (usually when distracted by some sweet, young thang in a thong) by filling the nipple cavity with FFFG, then the nipple itself.

It sure oughta work on the '63 for a little extra fire.

I swear, I ain't goin' grey, I'm goin' blond.....

Oh, how politically incorrect of me. Now I'll get buried in buffalo dung by all the blonds out there. That ain't bad so long as they include their phone numbers.

Todd